Skip to primary navigation Skip to main content

Brees is no Flutie

 

---Drew Brees said in a sideline interview of Sunday's Pro Bowl that when he and Doug Flutie had been teammates in San Diego Flutie, a master of the drop kick, had taught him how to do it.

So with Flutie in the broadcast booth, Brees decided it was the perfect moment to emulate him, but the kick for an extra point was too low. Brees told Flutie that his drop was too far forward and that he couldn’t get the necessary lift.

Back in 2006 with New England Flutie, the former Bills QB, converted the NFL’s first successful drop kick since 1941, making an extra point in the fourth quarter.

---Rodney McKissic

(www.twitter.com/rodneyjmckissic)

Bills shut out of Pro Bowl

For the second straight year, the Buffalo Bills do not have a representative voted onto the AFC Pro Bowl squad.

It's just the fifth time in franchise history the team hasn't had a player selected for the league's annual all-star game. Before the 2010 season, it had been 24 years since a Bill wasn't named to the squad. The only other times in franchise history came in 1985 and '86, 1970 and the inaugural season of 1960.

It's not surprising the Bills were shut out. After running back Fred Jackson was placed on injured reserve after a Week 11 loss to Miami, he became ineligible for the team. Jackson would have been a shoo-in for the squad if he weren't to have gotten hurt, as he was second in the NFL in yards from scrimmage (1,376) through 10 games.

Bills center Eric Wood also could have made a strong case for the team, but he too was lost to a season-ending injury during a Week 10 loss in Dallas. Players placed on injured reserve during the season become ineligible for the Pro Bowl.

The biggest snub for the Bills would be guard Andy Levitre. The third-year pro has started all 47 games of his career, and proved his versatility this season by starting at left tackle and center because of injuries. The Bills' line has given up 21 sacks, tied for fewest in the league with Tennessee, and has paved the way for a rushing attack that ranks 11th in the NFL (121 yards per game).

---Jay Skurski

http://twitter.com/jayskurski

Williams agrees to new deal

---The Bills announced defensive tackle Kyle Williams has agreed to a new a deal that is reportedly six-years and worth $39 million with $17 million guaranteed.

Williams agent, Albert Elias, said Thursday that he was waiting to hear back from the Bills after exchanging proposals during negotiations that intensified this week.

Williams had two years left on the contract he signed in July, 2008, worth an average of $3.6 million a year. He’s coming off a Pro Bowl season in which he recorded 77 tackles and 5.5 sacks.

The 6-foot-1, 303-pound LSU product was drafted by the Bills in the fifth-round in 2006. In his five-year career, Williams has totaled 291 tackles - 193 solos - and 13.5 sacks in 78 games with 73 starts. His 291 tackles since entering the NFL in 2006 are fourth-most among defensive linemen.

---Rodney McKissic

(www.twitter.com/rodneyjmckissic)

Williams agent 'optimistic' about a new contract

Wiliiams ---The agent for Bills defensive tackle Kyle Williams said Thursday he’s optimistic that a new contract will get completed but nothing has been finalized. Williams agent Albert Elias said he’s waiting to hear back from the Bills after exchanging proposals during negotiations that intensified this week.

“They’re a first class organization but we’re not done yet,’’ Elias said. “He’s excited that they’re coming to him two years early and he wants to remain a Bill for the rest of his career and that’s what he’s kind of got me trying to get done.’’

Williams has a year remaining on the contract he signed in July 2008, which pays him an average of $3.6 million per year. He’s coming off a Pro Bowl season in which he recorded 77 tackles and 5.5 sacks.

---Rodney McKissic

(www.twitter.com/rodneyjmckissic)

Kyle Williams first Pro Bowl alternate

Just because Bills nose tackle Kyle Williams wasn't voted to the AFC Pro Bowl team doesn't mean he won't be going to Hawaii.

Williams revealed Thursday that he has been named a first alternate at defensive tackle and would replace either New England's Vince Wilfork, Baltimore's Haloti Ngata or Oakland's Richard Seymour if one of them can't play in the game.

Wilfork and Ngata are on teams with a legitimate shot to reach the Super Bowl, which would eliminate one of them from the Pro Bowl, which is held January 30, a week before Super Bowl XVL.

Sounding like someone who didn't win the Academy Award, Williams said he was just happy to be nominated.

"It's always an honor to get recognized by your fans, guys you played against and the coaches that coach against you," Williams said. "So I'm honored with anything that I get."

Williams has established career highs with 75 tackles and a team-leading 5.5 sacks this season. Only Cleveland nose tackle Ahtyba Rubin (79) has more tackles among defensive linemen, according to NFL.com.

"If one of those guys can't go and I get the opportunity to go, I'd love to go and represent our organization, our team, obviously my family and things like that,'' Williams said. "That would be a great honor."

---Allen Wilson

Bills shut out of Pro Bowl

---For the first time in 24 years, the Buffalo Bills didn't have a player named to the Pro Bowl, which was announced by the NFLtonight.

The Bills, who enter Sunday’s game against the New York Jets with a dismal 4-11 record, didn’t have players named to the Pro Bowl in 1985 and ’86, the last time no one was from the team was honored in pro football’s all-star game. The only other years Bills players were omitted were in 1960, the inaugural season of the team, and 1970.

---Rodney McKissic

(www.twitter.com/rodneyjmckissic)