If you happen to have been one of the several hundred in attendance when the Low Anthem opened for the Swell Season at Ani DiFranco's Babeville, you know that the former church felt like sacred ground on that night. This band crafts haunted songs, mellow but hypnotic little bits of audio verite that feel somehow familiar upon first hearing. The band will drop a new album, "Smart Flesh, on February 22nd, via Nonesuch Records. Apparently feeling a bit of holiday season generosity, the Low Anthem is offering a free download of the song that will open "Smart Flesh," "Ghost Woman Blues." Here it is.
- Jeff Miers
Here's a live rendition of the song, too.
- Poet Clark Coolidge opens new Just Buffalo Studio Reading Series
- Live chat at noon: Miers on Music
- Trove of images from Kleinhans department store goes up for auction today
- Neil Wechsler's ambitious 'Against the Grain' theater fest postponed
- Thursday Theater Roundup: Last week for Ujima and BPT's 'The Trojan Women'