After months of fan speculation, J.J. Abrams on Tuesday finally lifted the deflector shields protecting the identities of his “Star Wars” cast members. Seven newcomers and six stalwarts will star in the seventh installment of the space epic, which is scheduled for release in theaters in December 2015.
The newcomers are John Boyega, a young actor with mostly television on his résumé; Adam Driver, from HBO’s “Girls”; Oscar Isaac, who had a prominent role in the 2013 Coen brothers film “Inside Llewyn Davis”; Domhnall Gleeson, an Irish actor recognizable from the last two “Harry Potter” films; the veteran Swedish actor Max von Sydow; the “Lord of the Rings” star Andy Serkis; and Daisy Ridley, a largely unknown British actress. No information was provided about the characters they will play.
The returning veterans are Harrison Ford (Han Solo), Carrie Fisher (Princess Leia), Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker), Anthony Daniels (C-3PO), Peter Mayhew (Chewbacca) and Kenny Baker (R2-D2).
When Disney bought Lucasfilm in late 2012, it acquired the popular and lucrative “Star Wars” franchise and immediately said it would produce a seventh installment. Abrams was named the director early last year.
“We start shooting in a couple of weeks, and everyone is doing their best to make the fans proud,” Abrams said in a statement.
– New York Times