Skip to primary navigation Skip to main content

The trial of Muzzammil Hassan: Day 11

BUFFALO -- The murder trial of Muzzammil "Mo" Hassan continued today with the prosecution's cross examination of Hassan.

Hassan, 46, is accused of stabbing and beheading his wife, Aasiya Zubair Hassan, at an Orchard Park television station on Feb. 12, 2009. Hassan turned himself in the same night.

Erie County Court Judge Thomas P. Franczyk has allowed Hassan to represent himself.

Review today's developments in the trial, including Hassan's questioning of his daughter, below:

6:10 p.m.: Jeremy Schwartz, a defense attorney serving as Hassan's legal advisor, told reporters outside of the courtroom that Hassan "maintained his composure" during cross examination. 

Schwartz also said that Hassan's daughter, Sonia Hassan, was "clearly a reluctant witness."

"Mr. Hassan has expressed that he believed that Sonia was alienated from him," Schwartz said when asked what the value of calling a reluctant witness would be. "And I expect that he may bring that up on summation."

Listen to Schwartz's comments in this audio clip:


5:31 p.m.: The trial is scheduled to resume at 10 a.m. Thursday. 


5:29 p.m.: Prosecutor Colleen Curtin Gable asked Sonia Hassan to clarify whether she believed what she wrote in a 2008 letter in which she stated her father was not a threat.

"Did you in fact feel that the safety of yourself and your siblings was in danger with him at home?" Curtin Gable asked Hassan's daughter in redirect questioning. 

"Definitely, yes," Sonia Hassan replied. 

After the jury left the courtroom, Hassan told the judge he no longer plans to call his son, Michael, back to the witness stand.


5:23 p.m.: Sonia Hassan, who is now on the stand, said she didn't recall exactly when she learned that Aasiya Hassan planned to file for divorce.

On two occasions, Sonia Hassan testified, she went to the office of the divorce attorney. 

"Did I ever share with you why I believe Aasiya filed for divorce?" Hassan asked. 

Sonia Hassan replied that he couldn't have because there was a "stay-away" order of protection against him at the time that prohibited him from talking to his children.

Hassan also asked his daughter if she remembered whether Aasiya Hassan needed to go on a trip to China to earn her business degree.

"I think, when she was supposed to be going, she was dead," Sonia Hassan replied.


5:18 p.m.: Hassan's questioning of his daughter has skipped from event to event as she offers brief responses or says she does not recall things he is asking about.

Hassan asked Sonia Hassan to look at a picture of herself and asked if she recognized what she was wearing and where she got the outfit.

"You brought them back from Pakistan," Sonia Hassan replied. "And I believe I only wore those once, for those pictures." 

When Hassan asked her if she recalled that there was an order of protection against him when he returned from a trip to Dubai, Sonia Hassan responded: "You're having me jump around all over the place. It's hard to get my thoughts straight, but I don't really remember that specific incident."  


5:07 p.m.: Hassan has centered several of his questions to his daughter, Sonia Hassan, on Aasiya Hassan's trip to South Africa. 

Hassan asked Sonia Hassan if she knew why Aasiya Hassan wanted to go on the trip.

Sonia Hassan replied that Aasiya Hassan had "wanted to go because she needed medical help done and she knew she wasn't going to be able to get it here in the United States." It had also been a long time, Sonia Hassan said, since Aasiya Hassan had seen her family.

Sonia Hassan told her father she did not recall being told how her mother bought tickets for the trip.


4:56 p.m.: Hassan has asked his daughter to explain a hand-written letter she wrote on Jan. 3, 2008.

His daughter, Sonia Hassan, started her explanation by saying that there was a child protection services investigation going on at the time she wrote it.

"Aasiya wanted, for some reason, for you to come back to the house," Sonia testified. "So I was asked to write this letter because I had been previously blamed for most of the reasons why CPS was involved."

She added that she could also testify "that I did not believe in any of the sentences I wrote."

The letter, she said, stated that she didn't believe her father was a threat.

Sonia Hassan said she did not recall who asked her to write the letter and that it was possible it was Hassan who told her to write the letter.


4:46 p.m.: The pace of Hassan's questioning of his daughter, Sonia, is proceeding slowly as he asks her about events that she says she does not recall. 


4:45 p.m.: Hassan, who is now questioning his daughter, Sonia, asked her about a trip they took to New York City after her graduation.

Sonia said her father and his brother "wanted to go to New York City" so he "phrased it as a graduation gift to me to go to New York City."

Hassan then asked whether he allowed Sonia Hassan to choose what musical to see on Broadway during the trip.

"Who chose the show?" Hassan asked. 

"I did," Sonia Hasan replied. 

"Does that make me a controlling person or a caring father?" Hassan asked. 

Prosecutor Colleen Curtin Gable objected to the question.

"Sustained," Franczyk said.


4:37 p.m.: Hassan's daughter, Sonia, was on the witness stand for about 15 minutes before the judge asked the jurors to leave the room so he could discuss an objection from the prosecution.

The judge also asked Sonia Hassan to leave the room.

Prosecutor Colleen Curtin Gable objected to a line of questioning made by Hassan that she said would be "collateral impeachment."

The judge cut off the line of questioning after hearing arguments.


4:20 p.m.: Hassan's oldest daughter, Sonia, has returned to the witness stand. Hassan has questioned her about whether she recognizes people in a photograph and what name Aasiya Hassan encouraged her to call her after a trip to London. 

After Sonia said she did not recognize the people in the photograph aside from Hassan and did not recall what name he was talking about, Hassan moved on to different questions.

Sonia has not made eye contact with her father as she answers the questions. Instead she has spent most of the time looking down or toward the jurors. Hassan is seated at the defense table.


4:10 p.m.: Franczyk has several times scolded Hassan for adding commentary to his remarks.

During an exchange this afternoon -- while the jury was out of the room -- Hassan made a comment about prosecutor Colleen Curtin Gable that elicited a rebuke.

"She likes to object, your honor," Hassan said. 

"Please do not engage in gratuitous commentary," Franczyk said.

"I was speaking to myself," Hassan then said.

"You were speaking to be heard," the judge replied. 


4 p.m.: Prosecutor Colleen Curtin Gable spent only a brief time questioning Hassan after his redirect testimony. Her questions focused on whether Hassan knew that an alarm would go off if he disabled a surveillance camera at the Bridges TV the night of Aasiya Hasan's death.

"It was something that hadn't even crossed my mind," Hassan said.

Curtin Gable noted that had Hassan turned off the surveillance camera and triggered the alarm, his wife would have known he was in the building.

Hassan has left the witness stand.


3:59 p.m.: Hassan has offered a lengthy explanation as to why he called Franczyk's courtroom "voodoo justice" and "kangaroo court."

The name-calling, Hassan said, occurred only during a three-month period when he felt he was running up "against a paradigm." 

At the time, Hassan told the jurors, he had refused to come to court, but was dragged in by officers. He felt, he said, he was "not getting justice in this court."

"What my beef was with the judge here was he had turned down, I guess, a motion... ," said Hassan, who then turned to the judge and asked Franczyk to acknowledge whether it was a motion.

"I'm not your witness," Franczyk replied.

Hassan also explained why he had called the prosecutor and the district attorney names. 

The explanations are part of a lengthy list of items Hassan is working his way through to counter points the prosecution made during cross examination.


3:42 p.m.: Hassan, who is now offering his redirect testimony, said that he didn't "blame" his children for a March 2008 incident in which he, his wife and his two oldest children got into a fight.

Hassan called the children the "initial aggressors" in the fight, but said he "reacted badly as the adult" and that he "felt horrified by that."

"I don't blame my children at all," Hassan said. "I feel they were being inflamed and they were being used and they were too young to really know the difference."

Hassan's son, Michael, has previously testified that his nose was split open during the fight when Hassan punched him. 


3:32 p.m.: During a five-minute break given to the jury, Franczyk warned Hassan that he wanted the defendant to be "laser-like" in his redirect testimony. The judge told Hassan to limit his remarks to specific responses to points the prosecution has made.


3:31 p.m.: Prosecutor Colleen Curtin Gable asked Hassan to clarify whether it was his testimony that angels had helped him kill his wife.

"Do you believe that angels helped you stab your wife 40-some times?" asked Curtin Gable, referring to a statement Hassan had made to a psychiatrist.

Hassan replied that it was an analogy.

"It was me, but it wasn't really me," Hassan said. "Like, I could almost see me doing it rather than … it's hard to explain."

He continued, "I just saw, I was face to face with evil."

Curtin Gable ended her cross examination of Hassan with a series of questions about what he believed about abusers.

"You agree that what abusers fear most of all is exposure?" she asked.

"I do," Hassan replied.


3:24 p.m.: Hassan's family was "shocked" when they received a letter Hassan wrote from jail to WBEN radio host Tom Bauerle purporting to be from Hassan's mother, prosecutor Colleen Curtin Gable said. 

The family members, who live in Texas, sent the letter to prosecutors after they received it. 

Curtin Gable said Hassan forgot to put Bauerle's address on the letter, which was postmarked from Buffalo. The letter instead went to the return address, which was his mother's home.

The letter was one of two Hassan wrote purporting to be from his mother, Curtin Gable said. The other was sent to News Staff Reporter Sandra Tan.

Despite Curtin Gable's questions, Hassan insisted it was his mother who wrote the letters and that he simply translated them for her.

Curtin Gable, however, asked Hassan to acknowledge that his mother does not speak or read English.

"Your brother and your mother were shocked when they got that letter in Texas, were you aware of that?" Curtin Gable asked.

Hassan also acknowledged to the prosecutor that he called people with whom he did not agree names.

Hassan acknowledged that he called the district attorney "dumbo" and that he called his wife "Darth Vader," a "monster" and an "evil dragon." He also acknowledged that he called the court a "voodoo justice" and a "kangaroo court." 

Hassan told Curtin Gable that he used the term "evil dragon" to refer to his wife's "disease."


3:12 p.m.: Hassan never reported a threat he claims Aasiya Hassan made against him to police.

During the incident, which Hassan testified to yesterday, Hassan contends his wife told him she wanted to put a knife through him as she was cutting meat.

"Those were just words that she said to you, correct?" Curtin Gable asked.

"Correct," Hassan said.

Shortly after the alleged threat, Hassan got into a van and traveled to Toronto with his wife and children.

Curtin Gable has asked Hassan to acknowledge that he never told police about physical abuse by his wife and never told his medical doctors that he had been injured by her. 


3:04 p.m.: Prosecutor Colleen Curtin Gable is now asking Hassan to acknowledge a series of police reports that detail incidents in which he abused his wife.

The police reports were entered into evidence by Hassan, opening up the prosecution to question him about them.

A 2007 report from a police station in the Dallas area states that Aasiya Hassan told police then that Hassan sat on her, pinned her down and bruised her leg.

At the time of the incident, Curtin Gable noted, there was an order of protection against Hassan that allowed him to be near his wife, but prohibited him from striking her or harassing her.


2:53 p.m.: Aasiya Hassan told police in August 2006 of several incidents in which she said Hassan punched her, dragged her or sat on her, prosecutor Colleen Curtin Gable said.

Curtin Gable, reading from a police report, said Aasiya told police "that this has been going on for six years."

At the time Aasiya Hassan filed the report, Curtin Gable noted, Hassan was out of town and couldn't talk his wife out of going to the police.

The police report is one of several that Hassan asked to have entered into evidence. Curtin Gable is focusing several questions on the reports. 


2:45 p.m.: Hassan said he used a business template to draw up a "memorandum of understanding" signed by himself and his wife in March 2008.

The agreement -- one of two that prosecutor Colleen Curtin Gable is now focusing on -- set out punishments for Aasiya Hassan if she did not follow a set of rules that included not contacting police.

"So you used a business template to define your marriage, is that what you're saying?" Curtin Gable said. 

The document outlines several punishments for Aasiya Hassan, including not being able to travel to Pakistan to visit her family.

Curtin Gable also asked about a second agreement signed in June 2007 between Hassan and Aasiya Hassan entitled "Mo's Basic Needs." She asked Hassan to acknowledge that the document does not list physical abuse among 13 "behaviors" the document says Aasiya Hassan was not to use.

Hassan said it was included in the words "temper tantrums."

"Her temper tantrums include physical because every time she blows up, that's inclusive," Hassan said.

Curtin Gable has also asked Hassan about his first two divorces and whether those were different than with Aasiya Hassan. During the earlier divorces, the prosecutor noted, Hassan was younger and did not have as much money.

But when Aasiya Hassan filed for divorce, his reputation was at risk, Curtin Gable asked Hassan to acknowledge.

"One of the reasons was you didn't want your reputation hurt," Curtin Gable said.

"Nobody does," Hassan said. Franczyk admonished Hassan for later responding -- "Do you?" -- when Curtin Gable asked a similar question again. 



2:25 p.m.: Hassan has returned to the witness stand. The jury is about the enter the courtroom.


2:13 p.m.: Franczyk is on the bench hearing other cases. Hassan has not yet returned to the courtroom.


2:10 p.m.: The courtroom gallery is full of spectators and members of the press who are waiting for the cross examination of Hassan to resume.


1:30 p.m.: Read a timeline, based on Hassan's testimony, of the week-long chronology leading up to the slaying. Read News Staff Reporter Matt Gryta's account of the morning's cross examination in "Hassan says he 'blacked out' when beheading wife." Read News Columnist Donn Esmonde's taken on Hassan's defense strategy in "Mo as victim? Twisted logic is his alone."


12:45 p.m.: Franczyk has given the jurors a break for lunch until shortly after 2 p.m.


12:43 p.m.: Hassan disputed a question by prosecutor Colleen Curtin Gable that suggested that within three hours of killing his wife he was considering hiring a female defense attorney because he thought it would help his image. 

Hassan had written the words "pref female" on a list he made at the Orchard Park police station that night. The list also contained the names of attorneys and phone numbers.

Hassan told Curtin Gable that the words referred to an earlier discussion he had with a female friend, not what attorney to hire.

He also wrote the words represent "high profile."

Curtin Gable asked if he was already considering that his case would be "high-profile" at that point. 

Hassan said that was the term police had used.


12:35 p.m.: Prosecutor Colleen Curtin Gable asked Hassan to acknowledge that he "didn't shed a tear" after he arrived at the Orchard Park police station the night he attacked his wife.

"You didn't shed a tear there, correct?" Curtin Gable asked.

"No," Hassan said.

"Not one sign of remorse, correct?" Curtin Gable asked.

"No, I felt relief," Hassan said.

"Relief, not regret?" Curtin Gable clarified.

Hassan then said he "felt regret that things came to that" and relief that he had managed to escape a "terrorist." 

Curtin Gable then asked him to clarify that he was calling his wife a "terrorist."


12:26 p.m.: Prosecutor Colleen Curtin Gable asked Hassan to acknowledge that he could have stayed in an office in the Bridges TV building when he was waiting for his wife, rather than meet her in the hallway.

"You didn't have to walk into the hallway, did you?" Curtin Gable asked.

"No, but I'm used to doing what she tells me to do," Hassan said. 

Hassan also did not call the police or do other things that could have kept him safe if he was afraid, Curtin Gable noted.

"My question is, you chose not to stay in that office with the door closed or locked, yes or no?" Curtin Gable asked.

"Yes," Hassan said.

Hassan also acknowledged that he was about twice the weight of his wife and that he could have just pushed her down when he thought she had a knife in the hallway.


12:19 p.m.: Prosecutor Colleen Curtin Gable has asked Hassan to acknowledge that he did not tell his wife that he was waiting in the dark at the Bridges TV offices when she dropped off a bag of clean items on the night of her death.

"My question is, you didn't tell her, 'I'm at the office and I'll be here when you drop the stuff off?'" Curtin Gable asked.

Hassan said that he did not.

Hassan also told Curtin Gable that he brought the second knife into the office that night because he wanted to "gift wrap" it for his friend.

Hassan said he didn't turn the lights on as he waited at the office because he didn't want his wife to come into the building.

Hassan also told Curtin Gable that he took the knives out of their protective sheaths and put them in his pockets as he waited at the office. 

After the murder, Hassan sent a text message to someone, stating "call my father" and added his father's phone number. The message also said, "urgent," Curtin Gable said.


12:12 p.m.: Prosecutor Colleen Curtin Gable has held up one of the two murder weapons and has asked Hassan a series of questions about why he chose to buy two hunting knives at Walmart the day of his wife's death. 

"You chose this hunting knife, didn't you?" Curtin Gable asked.

Hassan has said he bought one of the knives for protection and that he bought a second for a friend to cut wood kindling. 

Hassan tried the knife out on a piece of cardboard at the store, an earlier witness has testified. 

"And you liked the way that it cut?" Curtin Gable asked.

Hassan said he was told by the clerk that the knives would cut wood.

"You just bought the two knives and then you told the clerk to have a good day," Curtin Gable said.

Hassan then drove to the Bridges TV station, rather than other places in Orchard Park or Hamburg such as the mall or a restaurant, the prosecutor noted.

"So you went to the one place where you knew your wife would be arriving shortly, correct?" Curtin Gable asked.


11:59 a.m.: Hassan told prosecutor Colleen Curtin Gable that he did not yell out during a meeting in a Bridges TV conference room in which he claims Aasiya Hassan held a knife to his throat because he did not "talk personal matters" to his employees.

He also did not report the incident to Orchard Park police, Hassan acknowledged.

"I was trying to solve our problems through counselors and doctors and not through police and so forth," Hassan said.

Curtin Gable then asked Hassan to acknowledge that later that day he "ultimately solved the problem with two knives."

She also asked him to acknowledge that if he had reported the alleged incident in which his wife held a knife to his throat it could have helped him in the divorce.

"No, because I thought... " Hassan said.

"The answer no will stand," said Franczyk, cutting off Hassan's additional explanation. The judge has asked Hassan to save any additional explanations until after the cross examination has been completed.


11:52 a.m.: Hassan went back and forth between being OK with the divorce and appearing upset by it, according to texts prosecutor Colleen Curtin Gable has read out loud. 

"Yeah, it was a very rollercoaster week," Hassan told Curtin Gable.


11:51 a.m.: Hassan told prosecutor Colleen Curtin Gable that he withdrew $90,000 from an M&T Bank account and deposited it in a Bank of America account after being served with divorce papers to protect his children's college funds.

Curtin Gable, however, asked Hassan to acknowledge that at that point, he was not supposed to move money around because of the divorce papers.

Hassan did not hire a divorce attorney in the week after receiving the papers.

"You were convinced that you could talk her out of filing for divorce, correct?" Curtin Gable asked. 

Hassan said he was not convinced of that. He also told the prosecutor he believed the divorce was another one of his wife's "attacks."


11:42 a.m.: Hassan sent a series of texts to Aasiya Hassan after the divorce papers were served begging her to talk to him.

In the texts, Hassan told Aasiya Hassan that he was collapsing, that she couldn't raise the children alone and that the Bridges TV station was in peril because of a decision by Dish Network not to renew its contract. On another day, he told her by text message that he had done some reading on "fixing my condemning attitude" and that he felt "light and good" with the discovery.

He also sent texts to his children in an attempt to get a message to his wife during that week.

At one point, Aasiya Hassan responded: "No, there is not much left to talk or listen to." At another point, she told him she was not ignoring him, but that the volume on her phone was turned down.

Prosecutor Colleen Curtin Gable is reading from a series of text messages sent from Hassan's phone that week and asking Hassan to acknowledge them. 


11:30 a.m.: On the night Hassan received his divorce papers, he sent a series of texts to his two oldest children asking to talk them.

Then he sent a text to Aasiya Hassan stating, "Please keep this amicable and let me talk to the kids … ," prosecutor Colleen Curtin Gable read.

She has asked Hassan to acknowledge that he was angry that night when he was locked out of his house and broke a pane of glass.

"It's my house," Hassan answered to one of a series of questions about an incident in which he was placed in a police car that night after breaking the window.

That same night, Curtin Gable said, Hassan was advised of the details of the order of protection -- that he was to stay away from his Big Tree Road house, as well as to stay away from the children and from his wife outside regular business hours. 


11:21 a.m.: Hassan told prosecutor Colleen Curtin Gable that he didn't entirely read through the divorce papers when he was served with them on Feb. 6, 2009.

Curtin Gable then asked why, as a businessman, he would not read through the papers.

"I didn't read through the whole thing because I knew what she was doing was another retaliation attack after I approached her family," Hassan said.

Curtin Gable, who is standing at a podium to conduct the cross examination, has repeated several of her questions after Hassan either failed to directly respond to the question or failed to answer with a "yes" or "no" response.

At several points, when Hassan has inserted additional information into his answers, the prosecutor has said, "Could you just answer my questions."

She asked Hassan to acknowledge that the divorce papers made him angry.

Hassan said the divorce papers included "false allegations" that would be bad for his "personal reputation."

"Weren't you concerned that if your personal reputation got marred, that that would affect Bridges TV? Curtin Gable asked.

"Of course it would," Hassan said.


11:10 a.m.: Hassan told prosecutor Colleen Curtin Gable that he sat in his car for a few minutes after the attack and after seeing his children sitting in a cold van outside the television studio. 

"You knew it was only a matter of time that someone found out what you did, right?" Curtin Gable asked. 

"Well, I was going to go to the police and let them know," Hassan said.

Hassan said he was thinking at that point about giving his children about $5,000 he had withdrawn from the bank. He said he didn't stop to talk to his children when he first left the office after the attack because he was afraid of violating an order of protection.

"OK, you just killed your wife, and you want the jury to believe you're worried at that time about a protection order? Curtin Gable asked.


10:59 a.m.: Hassan has told prosecutor Colleen Curtin Gable that he was not injured after the attack and that he did not, in fact, see his wife holding a knife when they met in the hallway moments before he killed her.

"At the time that you attacked her, you didn't see a knife in her hand, correct?" Curtin Gable asked.

"That's correct," Hassan said.

A few minutes later during the testimony, Hassan still insisted that he believed his wife had a knife. 

Curtin Gable asked Hassan to acknowledge that he "wasn't really in danger" when he started attacking his wife. 

He told the prosecutor that he believes he was in danger that night.

Curtin Gable then went through the list of items found on Aasiya Hassan's body, which did not include a knife, and asked Hassan to acknowledge that his wife was not carrying a knife.


10:56 a.m.: Hassan has told prosecutor Colleen Curtin Gable that he doesn't remember the details of the attack on his wife.

Curtin Gable has asked a series of specific questions about how Hassan stabbed his wife and where he stabbed her.

"I want to focus on the attack because that's what you didn't do yesterday," Curtin Gable said.

Hassan's responses have acknowledged that he killed his wife, but he has answered several of the questions with similar responses.

"You stabbed her in the face?" Curtin Gable asked.

"If the wounds are there, then I did it, ma'am," Hassan responded.

Curtin Gable has asked Hassan to acknowledge that he had two knives in his hands during the attack, that he stabbed her different places and that she was on the ground when Hassan cut off her head.

"I personally don't have recollection of specific things happening," Hassan said.

Curtin Gable also asked Hassan whether he kicked or tossed his wife's head after he cut it off.

"I think it may have slid because of the blood on the floor," Hassan said.

"But that was because of actions you took, correct?" Curtin Gable asked. 

"In defending myself, yes," Hassan responded.

"You had to defend yourself when you were cutting off her head?" Curtin Gable asked.

"It had been a long time coming," Hassan said.

Hassan told the prosecutor that his wife did not scream during the attack and that after the attack he ran to the bathroom and dropped the knives. He explained taking off his bloody shirt and throwing it in a garbage can because he was "hot."


10:44 a.m.: Prosecutor Collen Curtin Gable opened her cross examination of Hassan by noting that in three-and-a-half days of testimony, Hassan spent about "two seconds" on the actual murder.

"You described killing your wife in just two words, 'things happened,' correct?" Curtin Gable asked. 

Hassan, who has answered some of the questions directly, but has also said he was "completely blacked out" during the murder, told Curtin Gable he didn't recall exactly what he said on the witness stand Tuesday.

"Let's start with Feb. 12, 2009," Curtin Gable then asked. "You killed your wife, correct?" 

"Yes," Hassan responded."


10:34 a.m.: Hassan has returned to the courtroom. Franczyk is setting the ground rules for his cross examination by the prosecution.

"Mr. Hassan, on cross examination, it's important that answers be responsive to the questions," Franczyk said. "So if the question calls for a yes or no answer, the answer should be yes or no."

Franczyk told Hassan that the questioning is not an opportunity for him to "rehash" his narrative testimony.

The jury is about the enter the courtroom.


10:31 a.m.: Franczyk on Tuesday told Hassan he hopes to have the case in the jury's hands by the end of the week. The defense has not yet fully outlined all of the witnesses Hassan plans to call. Schwartz told the judge this morning that all but one of the defense witnesses have been served with subpoenas.


10:23 a.m.: All of the seats in the courtroom are now either filled or reserved.


10:10 a.m.: Franczyk said he is waiting for the jury. Hassan is not yet in the courtroom.


10:07 a.m.: Jeremy Schwartz, Hassan's legal advisor, told the judge that Hassan's children are prepared to return to the witness stand this afternoon. He said Gary Horwitz is confirmed to appear Thursday. Horwitz was prepared to testify as the prosecution's psychiatric expert, but has been called by the defense. 

Prosecutor Collen Curtin Gable asked Schwartz to tell her later today who will be appearing on the witness stand on Thursday. 


10: a.m.: Prosecutor Colleen Curtin Gable is preparing for the trial to resume. She has moved two boxes that contain the hunting knives found at the murder scene to the prosecution's table. 


9:50 a.m.: Court is in session and Franczyk is on the bench hearing other cases. There are open seats in the courtroom, which has been rare during the 10 previous days of testimony.


Read News Staff Reporter Sandra Tan's account of Day 10 of the trial in "Hassan cites God for courage to kill wife."

See The News' entire coverage of the Hassan case, including video and audio clips, on the Mo Hassan case topics page.

--Denise Jewell Gee

comments powered by Disqus