The nonprofit Seaway Trail Inc. has begun pitching weekly top 10 day trip ideas along the Great Lakes Seaway Trail National Scenic Byway, all either in, or an easy drive from, Niagara County.
Here's what they recommend for the next several days. Let us know what you think.
1. Join the festivities at Discover Presque Isle Days with an art area, children’s games and activities, beach volleyball, music, and bonfire in Erie, Pa., through Sunday.
2. Relax, refresh, and unwind as you sip world-class wines in Lake Erie Wine Country.
3. Show how much you love Lucy at Lucy’s 100th Birthday Celebration, a tribute to America’s “Queen of Comedy” Lucille Ball in her hometown of Jamestown, Tuesday to next Sunday.
4. Learn about the history of play and see toys in the National Toy Hall of Fame at the National Museum of Play in Rochester.
5. Prepare to get wet and explore the roar of Niagara Falls aboard Maid of the Mist in Niagara Falls, N.Y.
6 Stroll the bayfront area and climb the Bicentennial Tower in Erie, Pa.
7. Visit the oldest cobblestone church in North America, tour the inside of a cobblestone house, and experience what it was like to be a student by visiting the one room cobblestone school at The Cobblestone Museum in Albion.
8. Enjoy rides, hands-on activities, and free entertainment at the Orleans County 4-H Fair in Knowlesville through Saturday (Editor's note: or stay closer to home Wednesday to next Sunday by attending the Niagara County Fair. See Sunday's Niagara Weekend for a story and complete calendar of fair events).
9. Go geocaching on the Great Lakes Seaway Trail GeoTrail and collect 5 trackable GeoCoins.
10. Tour the historic Thirty Mile Point Lighthouse or even stay the night in the assistant keepers quarters located within Golden Hill State Park in Barker.
The Great Lakes Seaway Trail is a National Scenic Byway that follows the shores of Lake Erie, goes through Buffalo, then continues along the Niagara River, Lake Ontario, and the St. Lawrence River. Visit www.seawaytrail.com/daytripper for more information on these and other fun ideas all within a day trip of Buffalo!