Skip to primary navigation Skip to main content

How to cross a border

Today's editorial deals with the fact that the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative, requiring higher levels of documentation at checkpoints along the U.S.-Canada border, is understandably being blamed for significant declines in cross-border tourism in recent months.

Of course, a global economic recession and unseasonably wet weather probably had a hand in that, too.NY_EDL But, as outlined in a couple of recent Buffalo News articles -- here and here -- traffic really is down and WHTI is as logical a target as any.

The editorial suggests that, while government agencies need to step up their service and educational efforts so that people know what they need and how to get it, travelers must show some personal responsibility, too. We offer some compare and contrast information on the different forms of ID that satisfy the new requirements. For most New Yorkers, the new enhanced driver's license [right] might be the best bet. It allows you to cross the border, board a domestic flight, buy liquor and, oh, yeah, drive a car.

More information is available from the U.S. State Department, the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles, the Erie County Clerk's Office, and the U.S. Customs and Border Protection Agency.

See you on the other side.

-- George Pyle/The Buffalo News 


comments powered by Disqus