Just a day after Assembly candidate Michael P. Kearns touted two endorsement by organized labor in his bid for the special 145th Assembly District election on March 20, the camp of opponent Christopher J. Fahey summarized his union backing with more endorsements -- lots more.
A top Fahey supporter pointed to the following sources of labor support already listed on his website:
- IUOE Local 17
- IBEW Local 97
- AFSCME Local 1095
- AFSCME Local 930
- Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers and Trainmen
- ATU Local 1342
- Bricklayers & Allied Craftworkers Local No. 3 NY
- International Union of Elevator Constructors Local 14
- New York StateTroopers' Police Benevolent Association
- Buffalo Teachers Federation
- Ironworkers Local 6
- Painters District Council 4
- Northeast Regional Council of Carpenters
- United Auto Workers, Region 9
- Communications Workers of America
The dueling labor endorsement efforts underscore what is expected to prove a spirited campaign to replace Mark J.F. Schroeder in the Assembly after he was elected Buffalo comptroller in November.
Fahey is the endorsed Democrat; Kearns is a Democrat running with Republican support.
--Robert J. McCarthy