One week left in the regular season -- many weeks left in the poll. Will it get easier as we go on?
Every week nine voters participate in The News' large and small school polls. The poll is published each Tuesday in the Sidelines of the Scholastic Spotlight.
And here's this week's:
1. Sweet Home (6-0) [last week: 1] - Panthers will probably stay in this spot for a while.
2. North Tonawanda (6-0)  - T-NT not so explosive this year.
3. Lancaster (6-0)  - Last week: long trip, big win. This week: short trip, big ...
4. Orchard Park (5-1)  - Very nice win at Victor. Section VI schools should give them a chest-bump for representin'.
5. Williamsville South (6-0)  - Very impressive in beating Iroquois. Definitely a top five team. Another impressive win Friday at Hamburg bolsters their case for top four ... top three? ... top two? ... top one?
6. Canisius (3-3)  - The win by St. Joe's at St. Francis makes the Crusaders your clear Catholic favorite.
7. Iroquois (4-2)  - Polls are a funny thing, Part I. The Chiefs lose decidedly and they move up on my ballot.
8. Hamburg (5-1)  - Superb win over Frontier sends them surging into Will South game. Polls are a funny thing, Part II: Hamburg is No. 6, Iroquois is No. 7 in the poll, and it's not even close, despite Iroquois winning AT Hamburg. That's a great win over Frontier, and the Iroquois game was one play, but give the Chiefs credit for winning the darn thing. Jeesh.
9. St. Joe's (2-4) [NR] - Best win for the Marauders since Naaman/Domonic era? Thought about them at No. 7. Won at Falls, won at St. Francis, lost to four teams most others would lose to as well (Cathedral Prep, Aquinas, Steubenville, Canisius).
10. Lockport (4-2)  - Thorough win over an enthused Will North team keeps them ahead of Riverside, St. Francis, Grand Island, not necessarily in that order.
1. Southwestern (6-0)  - [Insert your own insight/reason/wisecrack here].
2. Cheektowaga (6-0)  - Dangerous trip Friday to Maryvale?
3. Eden (6-0)  - Best turnaround of the season. Raiders score another shutout.
4. Cleveland Hill (5-1)  - Eagles, like Eden, have clinched -- they're working toward another meeting with the Raiders.
5. Depew (5-1)  - Gotta love a rivalry game with two ranked teams.
6. Cassadaga Valley (5-1)  - Don't sleep on the Cougars.
7. Burgard (4-0)  - Bulldogs make top 10. Finally. And by three points.
8. Cardinal O'Hara (4-1)  - Annual small school battle this weekend as St. Mary's visits.
9. Alden (5-1)  - EA tooketh the buzz away two weeks ago by beating Lackawanna, then gave-eth it back by beating Bulldogs last week -- that would be the buzz hovering over the Lackawanna-at-Alden game Friday night. Kept Alden here slightly ahead of EA (which lost to Pioneer and Iroquois). EA beat Alden in a close one at home; I'm going to guesstimate that Alden would win a close one against a visiting Blue Devil team.
10. Randolph (5-1)  - Nice big win over Maple Grove felling-Frewsburg.
Don't like what you're reading? The comment space is below.
Also, visit here Wednesday for a live chat with yours truly at 7 p.m.---Keith McShea
taggedHigh school football