* * *
The A boys and Nichols ...
* Found some neat history stuff regarding Nichols' previous four Federation titles, all of which came in Class C as a member of the Alliance of Independent Schools. (Class C for Christian Laettner? Yeah, that's what I thought, too).
Jim Pieri (who would play at a then-middle-of-the-Ivy-League-pack Cornell program, which I covered from 1996-99) was the MVP fo the '95 team that won a bracket that included Peekskill and Elton Brand.
Christian Laettner still holds the Class C record for grabbing 40 rebounds over two games as a sophomore in 1986; he was joined on both 80s title teams by Rick Torgalski while Ron Torgalski was on the '85 team.
Check this out: On March 24, 1990, Laettner hit a buzzer-beater to lift Duke over Connecticut in the NCAAs (two years later he hit the epic buzzer-beater against Kentucky) … and a few hours later Nichols senior guards Dan Taggart and Luther Winfield led coach Jim Kramer's Vikings to a 67-51 defeat of previously unbeaten -- and home-section favorite -- Rensselaer.
* Long Island Lutheran's home page.
* Long Island Lutheran's MaxPreps page. Check out the schedule. Pretty formidable. Also note the absence of a playoff game to advance to Glens Falls -- that's because there aren't any other big-school independent schools. During the chat I opined that LuHi (that's what they cawl it down theah) should be in Class AA. Did I mention the schedule?
* A PSAL finals preview for champion Bedford by the Daily News.
* A PSAL finals wrapup by The Daily News, which also includes info on the Class B games.
* The PSAL site has team pages for each team, this link is for Bedford.
* * *
The B boys and St. Mary's ...
* Coach Dan Gill on the preparation: "We scrimmaged Nichols on Monday and we've found ways to stay sharp. We know [Collegiate] is very good. They are extremely fundamentally sound.
"Actually they match up with Nichols with some of the same personnel, running the same things on offense. We're going to go out and give it our best shot. Will Bartlett is extremely skilled in the post and facing the basket -- he's a lot like Will. So we know what we're up against and we just have to deal with it."
* Collegiate's MaxPreps page.
* The New York Post's feature on the accomplished Collegiate squad.
* Game story by the Post on Collegiate's AIS championship win.
* The PSAL title game story by the New York Post on Queens H.S. of Teaching's victory.
* * *
Class B girls and St. Mary's ...
* Coach Keith Junik, who teaches social studies at St. Mary's, on the Lancers' March Madness: "The school is kind of crazy right now. It's been a fun week for sure -- the boys going to be down there, and having each team watching each other is a boost for us. We had our banquet [Tuesday] night and we said 'St. Mary's is taking over Glens Falls for the weekend."
* A preview of the PSAL title game featuring top-seeded Goldstein by the New York Post.
* The game story by the Post on Goldstein's victory.
* Goldstein's balanced Dolphins squad had point guard Brittany McDonough hit seven threes in a PSAL semifinal; in the final sophomore guard Nourhan Elbassiony had 21 points while junior Christina McKeever had 18.
* * *
The basics ...
* The current state rankings thanks to the New York State Sportswriters Association.
* The home page for the NYSSWA's Road to Glens Falls has tons of stuff.
* A cool just-the-facts-ma'am site at nysbasketball.net (gotta love the dot-net suffix for hoops stuff).
* A bunch of final four related stuff came up in Wednesday night's edition of our weekly chat.