I've mentioned this before on the blog and in the paper, but a major factor in the success in any Empire State Games is volunteers.
If you are involved in high school sports in any level, getting involved in the Empire State Games is a great way to help Western New York host one of the state's best sporting events. The Games are July 21-25. It's a few hours of time that make a big payoff not only in the success of athletes' experience on the field but in many outsiders' visits to the region.
The local ESG committee put out a call for volunteers today.
Areas of volunteer positions needed include:
* General support - Ticket sales, ushering, and registration
* Medical staff
* Opening ceremonies - Admissions and pre/post production
* Radio communication
* Media center greeter
* Results center
* Sport support - on field, all sports
Volunteer locations include:
* Erie Community College (North, South and City)
* Amherst Audubon Recreational Center
* University at Buffalo
* Niagara University
* Buffalo State College
* Canisius College
* Niagara County Community College
* Buffalo Niagara Court Center (volleyball), West Seneca
* Amherst North French Fields
Volunteer position times range from Wednesday, July 21 through Sunday, July 25 with shifts delineated from 8 a.m. to noon, noon to 4 p.m. and 4 to 11 p.m.
Each volunteer is asked to work a minimum of two-4 hour shifts. All volunteers must be 18 years of age to participate. Parental waivers must be signed for volunteers under 18.
"Volunteering for the Games is a great way to get involved with our State's longest-running amateur athletic competition," Empire States Games Chairman Ralph Galanti said in a release. "The Games are a huge production - and we are looking for talent on and off the field."
taggedEmpire State Games