One week down, nine more to go before Section VI champions are determined, 10 to go before Monsignor Martin winners, and 12 to go before this year's state champions are crowned.
That's when we'll (probably) know who deserves to be No. 1 (through No. 10), but here's our shot at figuring it out right now.
Every week a panel of voters participate in The News' large and small school polls. Check them out (along with the standings) here.
We have one vote in each poll. Here's our preseason lineup. And here's this week's ballot:
1. Sweet Home (1-0) [preseason poll: 1] -- An even clearer choice for this spot after NT's loss.
2. Orchard Park (1-0)  -- Game with Lancaster was unusually sloppy, but it's still a win over a major AA rival and a team we had in the top 10.
3. Grand Island (1-0)  -- Seems there aren't a lot of voters that have the Vikings as high as we do, but the great thing is ..
4. Williamsville South (1-0)  -- ... we get Will South at GI on Saturday afternoon.
5. Canisius (1-0)  -- A very good start in dismantling O'Hara. Plenty of upside, poll-wise. To us, the top five teams are clear, with Nos. 2-5 close to toss-up territory at this point.
6. Kenmore West (1-0) [NR] -- Win at NT gets shoots you up the poll elevator, but not past any of that top five at this point.
7. Clarence (1-0) [NR] - Big win against preseason top 10er in Iroquois, another big home game Saturday night when Orchard Park visits. Check out the video highlights from blogger Milt Latimer.
8. St. Francis (0-1) [NR] - Were just outside our top 10 last week before going down to the wire with the team in Section IV AA. In our view, an impressive enough result to put them in the top 10 over a pack of Week One winners who we wouldn't peg as teams ready to run with Union-Endicott.
9. St. Joe's (0-1)  - Had 'em ranked and they lose fairly big at state power Aquinas. Like Frannies, we'll take them over a group that we're not sure about.
10. North Tonawanda (0-1)  - Speaking of that group, we'll keep NT in the top 10 for all the reasons they were just No. 2 a week ago.
Just outside the huddle: Niagara Falls (good, close win over our preseason No. 10), Frontier (shutout of Jamestown and two TDs in final minutes), Williamsville North (dominated Hutch-Tech), Williamsville East (nice comeback win over McKinley), Hamburg (just missed out on preseason top 10, nice comeback against Lafayette) and Bennett (great start in super-tough AA South); Lancaster is a top 10 staple that lost to another one, but that game was too sloppy for them to get credit for that loss ahead of others; Iroquois drops out because that was a big loss (check the video highlights from blogger Milt Latimer); Riverside falls out with home loss to Falls.
1. Southwestern (1-0)  -- It is mindboggling that some people don't think the two-time Class C champions, defending season-long No. 1 in 2009 and owner of the state's longest win streak shouldn't be here.
2. Lackawanna (1-0)  -- Very impressive opening win at East Aurora has to make them the top B team.
3. Randolph (1-0)  -- Slid down a spot because Lackawanna's win at EA is that impressive -- in trying to compare the defending state champs with what appears to be a loaded crop of Bs, the Cardinals may have this kind of slide happen again as the season goes on.
4. Cheektowaga (1-0)  -- Expected solid win in Week One, Part I.
5. Alden (1-0)  -- Expected solid win in Week One, Part II.
6. Depew (1-0)  -- Expected solid win in Week One, Part III.
7. Burgard (1-0)  -- Expected solid win in Week One, Part IV.
8. Eden (1-0)  -- Expected solid win in Week One, Part V.
9. Cleveland Hill (1-0) [NR] -- Nice big opening win at Maryvale deserves a top 10 spot; we had them just outside it last week.
10. Cardinal O'Hara (0-1)  -- We'll give the benefit of the doubt to the Hawks since we think most teams would lose big at Canisius. Nearly gave this spot to Grover Cleveland; Silver Creek is hanging around the huddle as well.
Don't like what you're reading? The comment space is below.
Also, visit here Wednesday for a live chat with yours truly at 8 p.m.