Skip to primary navigation Skip to main content

Live from Day One of the Msgr. Martin-ECIC Challenge: GI, Walsh, WSE win; St. Mary's edges Clarence, 62-59

Hello from courtside from St. Mary's bright, fine facility for the first of three days of the ADPRO Monsignor Martin-ECIC Challenge.

That blur is O'Hara's Mark Cerza scoring on what would be a three-point play. (Keith McShea/Buffalo News) I'm arriving at halftime of the four-game lineup. Grand Island scored the first win of its season -- and of coach Nate Beutel's career -- with a 50-41 victory over Christian Central. Archbishop Walsh continued a very strong start to their season with a 70-53 win over Holland.

7:32 p.m. West Seneca East and Cardinal O'Hara are the third game tonight, and O'Hara has a 27-23 halftime lead. Sophomore Mark Cerza has been quite impressive in the first half. He has two three-pointers and had a three-point play off a drive near the end of the half. O'Hara was up, 17-14, after one quarter.

8:03 p.m. West Seneca East had a great third quarter to go up, 41-38, heading to the fourth. Solid defense and some transition baskets have helped the Trojans while the Hawks have looked a little lost on offense. "I know you're better than that, you know you're better than that, so let's play better," WSE coach Jason Kline told his team at the half.

8:10 p.m. We have a FINAL SCORE: West Seneca East 53, Cardinal O'Hara 45.

Very solid second half and a very nice comeback for the Trojans, while Cardinal O'Hara somehow lost all of the momentum it had in the first and had no continuity.

8:28 p.m. How about this thing running on time with four back-to-back games? Very impressive. Clarence and St. Mary's tipping off. Some nice energy in the building with a decent crew of students out to support the home team.

8:58 p.m. My apologies about no update at the quarter, which Clarence led, 15-13. St. Mary's had a very nice close to the second quarter to take a 32-29 halftime lead. Junior Devin Redden, who has shown some great energy on both ends, hit a three-pointer in the final seconds of the first half for the St. Mary's biggest lead of the game, equaling Clarence's largest lead (13-7 in the first quarter). 

9:23 p.m. A nice back-and-forth third quarter ends with St. Mary's up, 44-39. I'm taking care of some Scholastic Spotlight stuff here at courtside so I've been getting glances of the action. St. Mary's got a fabulous fast break finish by Redden off a push from Erik Simmons for their last basket of the quarter.

9:51 p.m. We have a FINAL SCORE: St. Mary's 62, Clarence 59.

There was some quality drama at the end but Clarence's three-pointers missed on their last possession.

---Keith McShea

comments powered by Disqus

About Prep Talk

Keith McShea

Keith McShea

Keith McShea has covered high school sports at The News since his hiring in 1999. The 1995 University at Buffalo graduate and Long Island native (North Babylon Bulldogs) covers — and live blogs — everything from scrimmages to state championships & helps head The News' All-Western New York selections.

@KeithMcSheaBN |