Hello from Cayuga Heights Elementary in Depew, site of the Section VI basketball meetings. A happy Selection Saturday to you all. I'm at the boys meeting in the cafeteria. The tables are small but we'll survive :-)
9:25 a.m. Section VI chairman Jim Walker's opening announcement includes the fact that the first-round games will be played Tuesday instead of Monday, as was scheduled; this is due to the President's Day holiday.
1. Jamestown; 2. Niagara Falls; 3. Williamsville North; 4. Lancaster; 5. Kenmore West, 6. McKinley, 7. Niagara-Wheatfield; 8. Clarence; 9. Lockport; 10. Frontier; 11. West Seneca West; 11. Orchard Park; 13. North Tonawanda.
First coin-flip of the day: West Seneca West is 11th; Orchard Park is 12th.
1. Williamsville South; 2. Williamsville East; 3. Bennett; 4. Hutch-Tech; 5. Sweet Home; 6. West Seneca East; 7. Kenmore East; 8. Iroquois; 9. Hamburg; 9. Starpoint; 11. Lafayette; 12. Grand Island; 13. Lake Shore.
Coin-flip: Hamburg is 9th; Starpoint is 10th.
1. Maryvale; 2. East; 3. Cheektowaga; 3. Amherst; 5. Lew-Port; 6. Olean; 7. Riverside; 7. Depew; 9. East Aurora; 10. Pioneer; 10. Burgard; 12. Albion; 13. Springville.
Coin-flip for 3/4: Amherst is 3rd; Cheektowaga is 4th.
Coin-flip for 7/8: Depew is 7th; Riverside is 8th.
Coin-flip for 10/11: Burgard is 10th; Pioneer is 11th.
Big coin flip there sets up a possible 8-Riverside at 1-Maryvale matchup. Whoa.
1. Dunkirk; 2. Newfane; 3. Tonawanda; 4. JFK; 5. Lackawanna; 6. Alden; 7. Roy-Hart; 8. Akron; 9. Buffalo Arts; 10. Medina; 11. Eden.
1. Wilson; 2. CSAT; 3. Cassadaga Valley; 4. Southwestern (CV wins tiebreaker due to more league wins); 5. Cleveland Hill; 6. Fredonia; 7. City Honors; 8. Allegany-Limestone (CH wins tiebreaker due to more league wins); 9. Emerson; 10. Gowanda.
1. International Prep at Grover Cleveland; 2. Tapestry Charter; 3. Maple Grove; 4. OTC Middle College; 5. Salamanca; 6. Portville; 7. MST Seneca; 8. Westfield; 9. Chautauqua Lake; 10. Barker; 11. Silver Creek; 12. Randolph; 13. Holland; 14. Cattaraugus/Little Valley; 15. WNY Maritime Charter; 16. Oracle Charter; 17. Franklinville.
Note: Franklinville is playing Oracle today at Tapestry at 2 p.m.
1. Clymer; 1. Panama; 1. Sherman; 4. Pine Valley; 5. Forestville; 6. North Collins; 7. Ellicottville; 8. West Valley; 9. Olmstead.
There is a blind draw to see which the first coin flip will between. The first flip is 2/3 between Panama and Sherman. Panama is the third seed. Another flip is 1/2 between Sherman and Clymer. Sherman is the first seed, Clymer is second.
Top seeds: 1. Sherman; 2. Clymer; 3. Panama.
* * *
Next up to be worked out are some dates and site issues. I'll have the complete schedule posted as soon as possible after it is finalized.
12:10 p.m. The boys seedings and schedule have been posted.
Mary Jo Monnin has been at the girls meeting and we'll get that information up as soon as possible.
1:42 p.m. The girls seedings and schedule have been posted.
We'll have more to come here and we'll have a story in tomorrow's paper regarding the brackets -- we'll also have full-fledged breakdowns of the tournaments in Tuesday's Scholastic Spotlight.