Skip to primary navigation Skip to main content

Bowman makes point with high school players

  Scotty Bowman wasn't at First Niagara Center on Tuesday night just to present a trophy named
for him to the winner of an all-star hockey game. He was also there to deliver a message.

   Both were well-received.

   In a postgame ceremony, he gave the Bowman Cup to the Rochester Seniors after they defeated the Buffalo Seniors, 4-3, as part of the eighth annual Scotty Bowman Showcase. But before the game, the winningest coach in NHL history had some advice in the locker room. In his lockerroom, Buffalo Juniors coach Rich Crozier said you could hear a pin drop.

   "I tell them basically there are certain things they can get better at. You try to convince them maybe 10 percent of the players are at the top level, but the other 90 percent, it all depends on their attitude," said Bowman.

   "If they go on to play hockey, or other sports, or go to a university, if they are athletes or go into business, somebody has to make a decision based on how good they are, and the ones who have the good attitudes get their foot in the door," he added. "You tell them to enjoy the moment and have fun."

- Mary Jo Monnin

comments powered by Disqus

About Prep Talk

Keith McShea

Keith McShea

Keith McShea has covered high school sports at The News since his hiring in 1999. The 1995 University at Buffalo graduate and Long Island native (North Babylon Bulldogs) covers — and live blogs — everything from scrimmages to state championships & helps head The News' All-Western New York selections.

@KeithMcSheaBN |