By Keith McShea
The New York State Sportswriters Association released its ninth football polls of the season today.
That main link goes to the Class AA & A polls and that page includes a link to Classes B, C and D.
Some quick items worth noting, and the complete breakdown of local teams in the state poll:
* Cleveland Hill is now Section VI's top state-ranked team besides Class D No. 1 Randolph. Cleve Hill moved up to No. 4 in Class C while Sweet Home (A) and Alden (B) tumbled out of the top three.
* Williamsville North moved up to 12th in the Class A poll after its win over Sweet Home -- but it still remains behind Sweet Home (No. 5). I think North has to be past Sweet Home after the win. It was a clear victory, not a last-minute deal.
* Obviously the state rankings are a focus at this time of the year as the regional round approaches.
For this weekend's Far West Regionals in Rochester, Section V has the higher state-ranked team in the three largest classes: Class AA (No. 1 Aquinas vs. No. 6 Jamestown); A (No. 11 Eastridge vs. No. 12 Will North); and B (No. 7 Geneva vs. No. 8 Depew). Section VI has the higher state-ranked team in the two smallest classes: Class C (No. 4 Cleve Hill vs. No. 8 Wayland-Cohocton) and D (No. 1 Randolph vs. No. 5 Red Jacket).
Here is the complete local rundown of the state rankings, which can be found at the NYSSWA's Road to Syracuse web site:
1. V-Aquinas (last week: 1); 6. Jamestown (6); 8. Canisius (8). Honorable mention: Frontier (25t), St. Joe's (HM), Kenmore West (HM), Orchard Park (HM).
* St. Anthony's (9-1) of Long Island remains No. 5 (St. Joe's beat visiting St. Anthony's in Week One, handing the Friars their only loss).
1. II-Queensbury (2); 5. Sweet Home (1); 12. Williamsville North (20); 22. Grand Island (22). HM: McKinley (HM), South Park (HM), West Seneca East (HM).
* Section III (Syracuse area) school Jamesville-Dewitt (6-3), which beat Cheektowaga, 13-12, in Week One at the Carrier Dome, has been an Class A honorable mention all season.
1. IV-Maine-Endwell (1); 8. Depew (13); 10. Alden (3); 14. Burgard (15). HM: Cheektowaga (HM), Eden (HM).
* Section III's Oneida (8-2), which routed Pioneer in Week One, is No. 12.
1. II-Hoosick Falls (1); 4. Cleveland Hill (5); 12. Fredonia (8). HM: Akron (HM), Lackawanna (HM), Salamanca (HM).
* Section V's Attica (6-2), which beat Bennett, 7-6, in Week Five, is an honorable mention.
1. Randolph (1); 7. Maple Grove/Chautauqua Lake (4). HM: Cattaraugus/Little Valley (HM), Frewsburg (HM), Panama (HM), Sherman (HM).
* * *