By Keith McShea
The New York State Sportswriters Association released its 10th football polls of the season today.
That main link goes to the Class AA & A polls and that page includes a link to Classes B, C and D.
Some quick items worth noting, and the complete breakdown of local teams in the state poll:
* Obviously the state rankings are a major focus at this time of the year as we head into the semifinals.
For this weekend's NYSPHSAA semifinals at Sahlen's Stadium in Rochester (the same site of the Far West Regionals), Section VI is a favorite in half of the four games. All Section VI teams will be playing schools from Section IV (Binghamton area) after that section swept Section III (Syracuse area) in last week's Central Regional round.
In Class B, Depew (9-2), which is ranked seventh, meets No. 1 and two-time defending state champion Maine-Endwell (11-0) at 3 p.m. Saturday.
In Class C, Cleveland Hill (11-0) remains fourth while Chenango Forks (10-1) is third; they play at noon Saturday.
In Class A, Williamsville North (8-3) is seventh while Union-Endicott (8-3) is 11th; that game is 8 p.m. Friday.
In Class D, defending champion Randolph (11-0) has been No. 1 all season. It faces No. 2 Tioga (11-0) at 5 p.m. Friday.
Just for the record, Section VI was an underdog in three of five games last week -- it won two of those games in taking four out of five from Section V (Rochester area).
* Williamsville North moved up to seventh from 12th in the Class A poll after its regional win -- but it still remains behind Sweet Home (No. 5). Last week I thought North had to be ahead of Sweet Home after the win; I feel even more strongly about it after the regional.
* Wins by Section VI teams meant rises in the rankings for some other local teams who are no longer playing, notably Alden (B), Fredonia (C) and Maple Grove (D).
* * *
Here is the complete local rundown of the state rankings, which can be found at the NYSSWA's Road to Syracuse web site:
1. V-Aquinas (last week: 1); 6. Jamestown (6); 7. Canisius (8); 29. St. Joe's (HM). Honorable mention: Frontier (HM), Kenmore West (HM), Orchard Park (HM).
* St. Anthony's (9-1) of Long Island is now No. 4 (St. Joe's beat visiting St. Anthony's in Week One, handing the Friars their only loss).
1. II-Queensbury (1); 5. Sweet Home (5); 7. Williamsville North (12); 24. Grand Island (22). HM: McKinley (HM), South Park (HM), West Seneca East (HM).
* Section III (Syracuse area) school Jamesville-Dewitt (6-3), which beat Cheektowaga, 13-12, in Week One at the Carrier Dome, has been an Class A honorable mention all season.
1. IV-Maine-Endwell (1); 7. Depew (8); 8. Alden (10); 14. Burgard (14). HM: Cheektowaga (HM), Eden (HM).
* Section III's Oneida (8-2), which routed Pioneer in Week One, is No. 12.
1. II-Hoosick Falls (1); 4. Cleveland Hill (4); 10. Fredonia (12). HM: Akron (HM), Lackawanna (HM), Salamanca (HM).
* Section V's Attica (6-2), which beat Bennett, 7-6, in Week Five, is an honorable mention.
1. Randolph (1); 4. Maple Grove/Chautauqua Lake (7). HM: Cattaraugus/Little Valley (HM), Frewsburg (HM), Panama (HM), Sherman (HM).
* * *