By Keith McShea
Every week during the basketball season a panel of voters participates in The News' large and small school boys basketball polls, which are published in today's Scholastic Spotlight.
And every week we let you know, like the title says ... how The News voted. This is just one ballot -- there are nine other voters in each poll.
And here's this week's ballot:
1. Canisius (11-2) [last week's ballot: 1] -- No. 1 by a full-court shot.
2. St. Joe's (7-6)  -- Had St. Joe's No. 2 before they lost to Canisius, after they lost, and a week later. Win over McKinley and win at Timon still requires it be here.
3. McKinley (6-2)  -- Like Joe's, blown out by Canisius. Still a good past 10 days with home win over Will North and huge Yale Cup win at East.
4. Bishop Timon-St. Jude (8-6)  -- Nice one tonight as Park visits. Tigers -- and the next two on this tight No. 2-through-No. 7 ballot, move up a spot. The win over North was in the season opener, but we don't see any reason to toss it out.
5. Williamsville North (7-3)  -- Spartans feeling very good, rightly so after win at Clarence.
6. Jamestown (6-3)  -- Red Raiders' closest of losses at North keeps them down here, but they seriously could be No. 2.
7. Clarence (8-2)  -- Hard fall on this ballot (harder in the poll) after big home loss to North. Home-and-home this week with Jamestown, on road tonight and home Friday.
8. Amherst (8-1)  -- Will continue to see Tigers a solid No. 8 (early loss to Clarence helps). Underwhelming schedule prevents them from getting any higher.
9. Kenmore West (9-2)  -- Blue Devils' home win over Lockport keeps them here; teams meet again Friday in Lockport.
10. Lockport (8-3) [NR] -- Speak of the devils ... errr... Lions. Lockport appears in the top 10 after Sweet Home took several lumps last week, which results in us chalking up KW's loss to Sweet Home over the holidays as an anomoly.
1. Olean (9-2)  -- Back where I had them before moving East up last week based on Aquinas results.
2. East (9-2)  -- No Tyree Tyson right now, my first viewing of them Wednesday did not live up to the No. 1 hype. The vote was taken before East lost at Franklin on Monday.
3. St. Mary's (10-3)  -- Very solid No. 3 when I filled out my ballot Sunday. Even more solid after win at Nichols Monday. And Olean comes to town on Tuesday. See you there.
4. Park (7-7)  -- VERY impressed by the Pioneers Friday evening. Dangerously skilled and well-coached despite being such a young team.
5. Middle Early College (5-4)  -- Sliding them up a spot; still eager to see them.
6. Nichols (7-6)  -- Yet to really bust through in MMA. Certainly plenty of chances for it to happen.
7. Fredonia (9-3)  -- Last few spots are pretty solid, starting with Hillbillies who have win over ...
8. Silver Creek (9-3)  -- ... the Black Knights.
9. Sherman (11-0)  -- Kinda funny that the two records at the bottom of this poll are ...
10. Barker (9-0)  -- ... the most impressive, but that's why polls are polls.
* * *
Don't like what you're reading? The comment space is below, our Twitter & email addresses are on the right side of the page, and our live chat will follow PrepTalkTV on Thursday night at around 8:15 p.m.