Skip to primary navigation Skip to main content

Bills refute Pete Metzelaars' claim that Doug Marrone blew him off

By Tim Graham

INDIANAPOLIS -- Buffalo Bills General Manager Buddy Nix disputed a claim made by former tight end Pete Metzelaars that the team didn't call him back after inquiring about the offensive-line position under new head coach Doug Marrone.

Nix said he asked Marrone to call each coach individually, and that Marrone followed through with that request.

Nix, speaking at the NFL scouting combine in Lucas Oil Stadium today, said he told Marrone, "At least give them the courtesy of talking to them about [it], and if you've got somebody in mind, and you're not interested in them, tell them. ... And you talk to all of them."

"He talked to all of them," Nix said. "He did what I asked him to do, and that's the way it is."

Metzelaars' statement was paraphrased in a Press Coverage blog Wednesday, but here is the full quote from an interview with me last week:

"I even called about the offensive line job there because I got told [Marrone] was bringing his guy in to coach the tight ends. So I called back about the offensive line job and unfortunately I never got a call back."

Metzelaars coached the Indianapolis Colts' offensive line before joining the Bills as tight ends coach last year.

He also expressed disappointment that his history with the team didn't count with the Bills.

"It's part of the business," said Metzelaars, a tight end on the Bills' four Super Bowl teams. "You know what's going to happen. With Marrone coming in there, he's got all these guys he's worked with and they helped him get to that position. There's loyalty. You understand that.

"I was hoping that with my history with the Bills, someone in the organization would say 'We want to keep this guy around.' But it didn't happen, and that goes with the territory in the coaching world."

tagged

2013 NFL scouting combine | Buddy Nix | Doug Marrone | Pete Metzelaars
comments powered by Disqus
Advertisement

About Press Coverage

Tim Graham

Tim Graham

Tim Graham returned to The Buffalo News in 2011 after covering the NFL for three years at ESPN and for one year at the Palm Beach Post. Before that, the Cleveland native spent seven seasons on the Buffalo Sabres beat for The News and was president of the Boxing Writers Association of America.

@ByTimGraham | [email protected]


Mark Gaughan

Mark Gaughan

Buffalo native Mark Gaughan started working at The News in 1980 and has been covering the Bills exclusively since 1992. He is a former president of the Pro Football Writers of America, and he is a member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame selection committee.

@gggaughan | [email protected]


Jay Skurski

Jay Skurski

Jay Skurski joined The News in January 2009. The Lewiston native attended St. Francis High School before graduating from the University of South Florida. He writes a weekly Fantasy column in addition to his beat writing duties.

@JaySkurski | [email protected]

Subscribe

Advertisement