By Tim Graham
On the first Friday after the Super Bowl, welcome to what I'm calling "For the Record Friday," a series of blog posts to remind everyone what must be tended to in the offseason.
These are the key dates on the NFL calendar.
• Feb. 9-10: Regional combine, Orange Coast College in Costa Mesa, Calif.
• Feb. 16: Regional combine, Houston Texans training facility in Houston.
• Feb. 17: Regional combine, Cleveland Browns training facility in Berea, Ohio.
• Feb. 20-26: NFL scouting combine, Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis.
• March 2-3: Regional combine, New York Jets training facility in Florham Park, N.J.
• March 9-11: Clubs are permitted to enter into contract negotiations with certified agents of players who will be unrestricted free agents at the end of the current league year.
• March 9: Regional combine, Tampa Bay Buccaneers training facility in Tampa, Fla.
• March 10: Regional combine, Chicago Bears training facility in Lake Forest, Ill.
• March 12: Prior to 4 p.m. Eastern time, clubs must exercise options for 2013 on all players who have option clauses in their 2012 contracts.
• March 12: Prior to 4 p.m. Eastern time, clubs must submit qualifying offers to their restricted free agents with expiring contracts and to whom they desire to retain a right of first refusal/compensation.
• March 12: Prior to 4 p.m. Eastern time, clubs must submit a minimum salary offer to retain exclusive negotiating rights to their players with expiring 2012 contracts and who have fewer than three seasons of free agency credit.
• March 12: All 2012 player contracts will expire at 4 p.m. Eastern time.
• March 12: Top 51 begins. All clubs must be under the salary cap prior to 4 p.m. Eastern time.
• March 12: The 2013 league year and free-agency period begin at 4 p.m. Eastern time.
• March 12: Trading period begins at 4 p.m. Eastern time for 2013 after expiration of all 2012 contracts.
• March 16-17: Regional combine, Atlanta Falcons training facility in Flowery Branch Ga.
• March 17-20: NFL owners' meetings, Biltmore Hotel in Phoenix.
• March 23-24: Regional combine, Seattle Seahawks training facility in Renton, Wash.
• March 23-24: Regional combine, Baltimore Ravens training facility in Owings Mills, Md.
• April 7-8: Super regional combine, Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas.
• April 25-27: NFL draft, Radio City Music Hall in New York.
• May 20-22: NFL spring league meeting, Hyatt-Harborside Hotel in Boston.
• Sept. 5 and 8-9: 2013 NFL opening week.
tagged2013 draft | 2013 free agency | For the record