By Tim Graham
Former Buffalo Bills safety Donte Whitner visited the NFL Network's "NFL AM" crew this morning, and one of the segments asked him to name the five best safeties in the league.
The top two on Whitner's list are former teammates:
- 1. Dashon Goldson, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- 2. Jairus Byrd, Buffalo Bills
- 3. Earl Thomas, Seattle Seahawks
- 4. Ed Reed, Houston Texans
- 5. Troy Polamalu, Pittsburgh Steelers
Whitner played alongside Byrd for two seasons in Buffalo's secondary.
"He's a guy that's going to force fumbles," Whitner said. "He's going to always be around the football. He has very good hands, very good instincts.
"I'd say that if he's not No. 2, he's really 1-B."
taggedDonte Whitner | Jairus Byrd