By Mark Gaughan
PITTSFORD -- There were 107 plays from scrimmage, by unofficial count, during the Buffalo Bills' intrasquad scrimmage Monday night at St. John Fisher College. That doesn't count punts and field goals.
It was the first extended live tackling practice at Bills camp since Mike Mularkey's last camp in 2005. It might have been the longest scrimmage at a Bills camp since before the Marv Levy era.
Said coach Doug Marrone:
"We got a lot of work in. We had over 100 plays. I told the players I was happy with the way we got after each other out there. The one thing you do get concerned about is live tackling. ... I thought in the beginning we didn’t tackle as well and then we really picked up at the end."
If you weren't there, here's our breakdown of the scrimmage by series, starting with the QB directing each one. Keep in mind we were watching from field level, so the yardages could have been a tad off:
1. EJ Manuel: Leodis McKelvin returns an interception off Manuel 45 yards for a touchdown. Manuel was aiming for Robert Woods, who ran an option route. Woods broke out. Manuel thought he was cutting in.
2. Manuel: Three and out. Erik Pears called for holding Jerry Hughes. Jeff Blatnick beats Cordy Glenn for a sack. Good punt by Shawn Powell.
3. Jeff Tuel: Marquise Goodwin catches 45-yard TD bomb. Tashard Choice runs 5 yards for a TD.
4. Tuel: Three and out. Torell Troup and Marcus Dowtin stuff Zack Brown on third and short.
5. Tuel: Da'Rick Rogers catches 45-yard bomb. He was wide open behind Jumal Rolle. Kendall Gaskins runs 2 yards for TD.
6. Tuel: Marcus Easley catches 36-yard sideline pass. Nice grab. Dorin Dickerson catches two passes. Rian Lindell kicks 26-yard FG.
7. Manuel: Three and out. Poor punt by Brian Stahovich (3.69 hang time, unofficially). Funny moment: McKelvin is about to turn the corner on the punt return but slows up when he sees Da'Norris Searcy, who McKelvin thinks is blocking for him. Searcy is covering the punt and the play stops.
8. Manuel: Three and out. DeMarco Sampson drops a hitch pass. Alex Carrington stuffs Frank Summers. Excellent punt, 4.69 second hang time. Didn't see which punter booted it (think it was Stahovich).
9. Manuel: Three and out. First defense versus second offense. Ron Brooks reads a third-down pass for Dorin Dickerson and nearly intercepts.
10. Manuel: Three and out. Pass is batted at line, maybe by Jarron Gilbert, and intercepted by Arthur Moats.
11. Manuel: Three and out. Gilbert stuffs a run and pass protection breaks down on second down.
12. Tuel: Hard running by Gaskins, including a 16-yarder. Dustin Hopkins makes 26-yard FG.
1. Manuel: Hughes beats Pears for an 8-yard sack. Lindell misses kick from 53 yards.
2. Manuel: T.J. Graham catches perfect 28-yard TD pass over Stephon Gilmore.
3. Manuel: Nigel Bradham stuffs a read-option run. Jamie Blatnick gets a coverage sack.
4. Manuel: Second-teamers versus second-teamers. Pass interference, 26 yards, on Nickell Robey versus Chris Hogan. Manuel runs 2 yards for a TD.
5. Tuel: Good coverage by Crezdon Butler on Rogers on third and 5. Hopkins boots 25-yard FG.
6. Manuel: RB Drew Smith catches 10-yard TD pass in left corner of end zone. Good throw.
7. Tuel: Three and out. Hopkins booms 52-yard FG.
Goal-line drives from 4-yard line
1. Tuel: Stuff by Carrington. Tackle by Moats. Stuff by Marcell Dareus and Jay Ross.
2. Manuel: Tashard Choice scores on 1-yard run on third down.
3. Manuel: Choice runs around left end for 4-yard TD.
4. Manuel: Choice stuffed by Chris White on fourth-and-1.
1. Manuel: Drive of 75 yards in seven plays to a TD -- a 2-yard run by Choice. Fred Jackson ran 15 yards up the middle. Manuel made a great throw down the right sideline of 20 yards to Woods. (Woods had dropped a Manuel pass on the play before). Jackson took a crossing pass 13 yards then ran 25 yards up the middle to the 2.
2. Tuel: Drive from the 25 to the opposing 34, where it ended on a sack by Carrington. Tuel converted a fourth-and-7 play from the Bills' 28 by throwing 27 yards to Goodwin, who made a fine leaping catch.