By Scott Scanlon
Those who like bicycles and baseball have a unique opportunity to enjoy both Saturday, when GObike Buffalo brings them together for "Bike to Bisons Game."
The gathering helps celebrate National Bike Month and starts at 4:30 p.m. at Ulrich’s Tavern, 674 Ellicott St., with discounted food, beer and free pop at the city’s oldest tavern.
There will be free and secure bike valet at the stadium for the 7:30 p.m. game and a complimentary first beer.
GObike is selling tickets, which are $10 for GObike members and $12 for non-members, and available at GObikeBuffalo.org. You can find out about other events to mark the May bicycling celebration on the website, too.
Co-sponsors include the Buffalo Bisons, Flying Bison Brewery and Ulrich’s.
Meanwhile, those who want to enjoy a ride along the Niagara Gorge on Saturday can take a ride from Devil’s Hole State Park to the Grand Island Bridge and back with a state parks ranger. For information about the time and to register, call 282-5154.
While we’re at it, here are some bike safety tips from GObike Buffalo:
• Have your bike checked over by your local bike shop
• Always wear a helmet to protect your head in the event of a crash
• Ride in the right-most lane that goes in the direction that you are traveling
• Obey all stop signs, traffic lights and lane markings
• Look before you change lanes or signal a turn; indicate your intention, then act
• Be visible and predictable at all times; wear bright clothing and signal turns