TORONTO -- The Rangers are playing tonight in San Jose (it's a 10:30 start), so keep in mind the following figures will not include that game. After tonight's wild results, there are just six points separating teams 7-12 in the Eastern Conference. Here's the rundown:
7. BUF 74 pts, 68 GP
8. NYR 74 pts, 69 GP (Pending San Jose result. Buffalo will have two games in hand after tonight)
9. CAR 72 pts, 69 GP (lost to Columbus at home, 3-2. Ouch)
10. TOR 70 pts, 69 GP (massive third-period rally)
11. ATL 70 pts, 69 GP (wiped out 3-0 deficit after two for 5-4 OT win at Philly. Wow. Andrew Ladd got tying goal with 45 seconds left and Ron Hainsey won it at 1:17 of OT)
12. NJ 68 pts, 68 GP (beat Isles, 3-2, on Anssi Salmela's goal in overtime). Are an incredible 22-3-2 in their last 27 games to go from 27 points out of eighth to just six. No NHL team has ever made the playoffs by overcoming a deficit of bigger than 12 points!)
The Devils have to be a little bummed. Had the Sabres and Flyers held on, New Jersey would be in 10th place right now.