By Mike Harrington
Officials in Rochester unveiled plans Tuesday afternoon for a 10-day outdoor hockey festival at Frontier Field, home of the Red Wings. It's being dubbed "Frozen Frontier" and a rink will be laid out roughly from third base to first base in the 12,000-seat baseball stadium.
The showcase event will be Dec. 13 at 7 p.m., when the Rochester Amerks meet the Lake Erie Monsters -- the Colorado affiliate once coached by new Sabres assistant Joe Sacco -- in an AHL game. The next night, the Niagara University men's team meets archrival RIT in another 7 p.m. game.
Here's the complete schedule of events.
• Friday, December 13 (7:00 p.m.): Amerks vs. Lake Erie Monsters
• Saturday, December 14 (Noon): Women -- RIT Tigers vs. Clarkson Golden Knights
• Saturday, December 14 (7:00 p.m.): Men -- RIT Tigers vs. Niagara Purple Eagles
• Sunday, December 15 (1:00 p.m.): Sabres/Amerks Alumni Game
• Saturday, December 21: Section V Rivalry Day - matchups TBA
• Sunday, December 22: Section V Rivalry Day - matchups TBA
The Rochester Democrat & Chronicle has the skinny on ticket information. All-access passes for the entire 10-day festival are $110, $80 and $60 and went on sale Tuesday. The Amerks game is included in their season ticket package. Single-game Amerks seats go on sale Sept. 21 and $35 for 200-level seats, $25 for 100 ends, and and $15 for limited-view 100 level seats.