There will be no more Miller time. The almost yearlong debate on whether to re-sign or trade Ryan Miller is finally over. The Sabres' standout goalie for 12 seasons is finally leaving Buffalo. He and captain Steve Ott are headed to St. Louis.
Miller was drafted by the Sabres in June 1999. He played for the Sabres' affiliate in Rochester before debuting for the Sabres in November 2002.
In the 2006-07 season, Miller and the Sabres won their first 10 games, setting a franchise record and tying the league record set in 1993-94 by the Toronto Maple Leafs. It was also the season that Miller and the Sabres set a franchise and league 10-game record for longest winning streak in away games. His outstanding career with the Sabres included the back-to-back runs to the Eastern Conference finals that started with the "Dream and Believe" series of 2005-06. He was the starting goaltender for the Eastern Conference of the 2007 NHL All-Star game. In the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver, Miller and the U.S. team won the silver medal.
Here is a look at the coverage of the trade online and in Saturday's paper, and a look back at his stellar career in stories, photos, videos and blogs from our archives.
- John Vogl: Miller time expires
- Mike Harrington: 'Lots of future in it,' but a sad goodbye for Miller
- Video: Sabres' Jumbotron tribute
- John Vogl: Fan favorite Miller will be tough act the follow
- Audio: Postgame reaction from Nolan and teammates
- Audio: GM Tim Murray
- Video: GM Tim Murray
- Ryan Miller drafted by Sabres (June 27, 1999)
- Sabres bring Miller to high life (Nov. 18, 2002)
- Niedermayer spoils Miller's debut (Nov. 20, 2002)
- 'Dream and Believe' becomes must-see TV: All eyes of Sabreville are on decisive Game 7 (June1, 2006)
- End of the line: Plenty of pride despite agony of defeat (June 2, 2006)
- Despite the odds, there's no quit in Miller (May 15,2007)
- Senators send Sabres to a sorrowful goodbye (May 20, 2007)
- Sabres lock up Miller long term $31.25 million extension over five seasons (July, 19, 2008)
- Miller saves the best for last (April 1, 2007)
- Despite the odds, there's no quit in Miller (May 15, 2007)
- Not bad, eh? A huge hockey win for USA; America jolts Canada, 5-3, is in quarterfinals (Feb. 22, 2010)
- One miracle short: As Miller, Ruff reunite on the ice, Canada keeps gold at home after an overtime game for the ages (March 1, 2010)
- Miller basks in the moment, plays his 500th game in Sabres win over Islanders (April 26, 2013)
- The 'other side' of Ryan Miller
- Mike Harrington: More on the coniditions of draft picks in Miller trade
- Miller in line to reach rare goaltending milestone with 500th game, all with Sabres
- Miller a finalist for Messier leadership award
- Miller has long list of 40-save performances during his career with Sabres (Feb. 26, 2014)
- On the Air: Miller talk on Sirius (Feb. 26, 2014)
- Miller on Sabres talking trade: 'That's probably best for everybody' (includes audio) (Feb. 25, 2014)