A few running notes before we get to the weekend calendar:
* Mark Valites, 31, of Boston, N.Y., ran the Wineglass Marathon on Sunday. In attempting to qualify for Boston, he needed to finish in 3:10:59 or better. When he crossed the line, the finish line clock read 3:11:05. That meant his fate was determined by chip time. When the final results were posted, he officially had a 3:10:59 … qualifying with no seconds to spare. Because the drama of the race just wasn't enough.
* Neko Hiroshi is a well-known Japanese comedian who checks in at 4-foot-9 and 99 pounds. He's big enough to run in the Niagara Falls International Marathon on Oct. 24. Reporters from a couple of Japanese running magazines plan to follow his every step.
* Nice job by some area runners at the Syracuse Festival of Races last weekend, which hosted the USATF National Masters Championships at 5 kilometers. The Belle Watling Track Club, with Richard Sullivan, Roger Whalley, Gerald Rivard and Sandy Bueme, won the 80+ division. The Checkers AC, with Helen Botti, Fran Rowe, Edna Hyer and Helen Bueme, took the 70+ division.
Now for the lineup, courtesy of buffalorunners.com:
* Ellicottville Fall Festival 5K, Holiday Velley in Ellicottville, 10 a.m. Saturday, 574-0888. Get ready for some hills.
* Brothers of Mercy Columbus Weekend Nature Run, 5K, 4520 Ransom Road in Clarence, 10:30 a.m. Saturday, 759-7658.
* Crystal Beach 5K Run, 3878 Erie Road in Crystal Beach, Ont., 11 a.m. Saturday, (289) 292-3100. I wish there were more races just across the bridge.
* Amherst Healthy Strides 5K, 400 International Dr. in Williamsville, 9 a.m. Sunday, 631-2310.
--- Budd Bailey