I don't think there was a runner in Western New York who didn't at least try to get out on the streets last weekend. Fall conditions just don't get any better. The forecast isn't quite as good for this weekend, but it still should be good enough to get in some fast times on the weekend's races. The slate is courtesy of buffalorunners.com:
* ECMC Lifeline Foundation WNY Runs for Heroes 5K, Delaware Park in Buffalo, 10 a.m. Saturday, 898-5881.
* Pumpkin Run 5K, 6350 Main St. in Williamsville, 10:30 a.m. Saturday, 783-3168. I got a look at a course map today; you have to love a course where the elevation changes less than 10 feet up or down from the start.
* Dr. Richard T. Sarkin Memorial 5K, Albright-Knox Art Gallery in Buffalo, 10:30 a.m. Saturday, 713-0769.
* Timon Fall Challenge 5K Run, 601 McKinley Parkway, 10:30 a.m. Saturday, 826-3610. I have friends who do this race just for the cheesecake afterwards.
* Chowder Challenge 5K, Pine Wood Park in North Tonawanda, 11 a.m. Saturday, 523-3958.
* BobKat Honorary 5K, 218 Aqua Lane park in Town of Tonawanda, 10 a.m. Sunday, 725-7414.
On Sunday, I'll have a story on a Western New York native who was the first to complete an amazing goal.
--- Budd Bailey