Not only does the Greater Buffalo Sports Hall of Fame recognize the area's greats from the past, it also has its eye on the future with its Amateur Sports Development Fund.
The ASDF was designed to offer financial assistance to amateur athletes, teams and organizations. Established in 1993, the ASDF is supported by the GBSHOF and is financed by proceeds from the annual induction dinner. Funds are awarded to those seeking financial assistance to foster the pursuit of a higher level of athletic achievement.
To download an application visit GBSHOF.com. If you know of amateur athletes, teams or organization that meet the criteria below, have them complete the Application Form and e-mail it to email@example.com. The ASDF Committee will review all applications and make recommendation for the disbursement of funds. The deadline to apply is Feb. 18, 2011.
Here are the criteria for the selection of athletes, teams and organizations.
1. The athlete, team or organization must be amateur in nature.
2. The athlete, team or organization may apply for a specific need or piece of equipment if it will serve to improve performance levels in a competitive event (example: new skis for a downhill racer who will represent Buffalo in a national competition).
3. If seeking funds for travel to an event, competition must be national or international in nature and selection to compete in the event must have been achieved via some qualifying process as opposed to subjective selection by a coach or committee.
4. Requests other than those highlighted in numbers 2 and 3 above will be given "non-priority" consideration.
5. The committee will only grant monies for purposes other than supplementing an organization's normal operating budget.
6. Awards can be granted for repeat applications provided the purpose for the request is not the same as the prior award.
7. The application must be complete and received as far as possible in advance of the date needed.
--Mary Jo Monnin