It's Boston Marathon weekend. Yes, that's a huge event in Boston, but it's also a big deal in these parts. Local marathoners always flock to Massachusetts for the annual event if they can meet the qualifying standard.
For those not making the road trip, Universal Sports is carrying the race. You can find that on line. If you have a converter for your portable TV, you can find it as one of Ch. 2's outlets. Starting time for the coverage is 9:30 a.m. on Monday; the women start at 9:32 and the elite men go off at 10.
Meanwhile, there are plenty of races this weekend; list courtesy of buffalorunners.com. Let's hope the weatherman offers a small bit of cooperation:
* Envirun 5K, Goat Island in Niagara Falls, 10:30 a.m. Saturday, 858-7897. The starting line has been moved to the east end of the island, so that while the course is the same the start/finish line is different. No matter how they do it, this is always a great course to run.
* Feel the Spirit 5K, 921 Cleveland Drive in Cheektowaga, 11 a.m. Saturday, 380-0231. This race handed out a t-shirt with the names of the finishers from the previous year … in the order of finish. Since it had me one spot ahead of one of my best friends in running, I'm saving that shirt forever.
* BPAC 6-Hour Distance Classic Ultra, Northtown Center in Amherst (near UB), 8 a.m. Sunday. It takes a special kind of person to run for six hours.
* Stomp Out Stigma Run, 5K, Niagara University, 9 a.m. Sunday, 286-8510. Always nice to tour the Niagara campus on foot. The organizers always do a good job.
* Connections Duathlon, 14 mile bike/5K run, 214 Central Ave. in Dunkirk, 673-3292.
--- Budd Bailey