Had enough rain yet? Me too.
Last Saturday I ran the Heritage Run in downtown Buffalo. The rain appeared at the start of the race, and a little bit of fog came off waterfront to cover up the space around the lighthouse at the Marina. It added a mysterious touch to the race, but I heard it was much better than last year -- when the water was bouncing over the rocks to douse runners.
And, it was much better Saturday than Sunday. I felt sorry for the organizers of the Stella B. Foundation 5K. I would imagine the deluge hurt that race's walk-up registration.
There's a busy weekend coming up as we close in on Marathon Weekend. The schedule is courtesy of our friends at buffalorunners.com:
* Pinnacle Charter School 5K, 115 Ash St. in Buffalo, 6 p.m. Friday, 583-3055.
* Buffalo Greek Fest 5K, 146 W. Utica St. in Buffalo, 6:30 p.m. Friday, 796-3381. I don't believe finishers have to down a shot of ouzo.
* DNFBA Run with the Rapids 5K, 101 Old Falls St. in Niagara Falls, 9 a.m. Saturday, 278-2115. This was an interesting course last year.
* The Wooden Shoe 5K, 8672 E. Main St. in Clymer, 9 a.m. Saturday. Day-of-race registration is $15 -- a bargain!
* Rotary and Lions Club Steppin' Into Summer 5K, 1 Main St. in Akron, 9:30 a.m. Saturday, 270-3883. It sure seems like Akron has hosted a lot of races this year already. Someone is
doing a good job there.
* Fitness 360 JDRF Run for the Cure 5K, 2625 Delaware Ave. in Buffalo, 10 a.m. Saturday, 874-2005.
* 4 for the Corps, 4 miles, Arcade Village Park in Arcade, 10 a.m. Saturday, 353-6216.
* Chris Griswold 5K, Como Park in Lancaster, 10:30 a.m. Saturday, 685-2640. This is one of the few races that gives up singlets. I save mine for the few truly hot days of the year --
usually the July 4th 10K race.
* SSPP's Charge of the Knights 5K, 5480 Main St. in Williamsville, 5 p.m. Saturday, 946-0198. A Saturday afternoon race? Interesting.
* Take off for Learning 5K, 3163 Airport Drive in Jamestown, 9 a.m. Sunday, 789-2230.
--- Budd Bailey