A few notes before getting to the weekend schedule:
* I did the Lindsay Matthews Scholarship Race in Orchard Park Sunday morning, and I have one question: Who put the hill on the course? Might be the biggest mountain of the season, and maybe the toughest as well because it's on grass and dirt and footing wasn't good. But I know the area had a connection for the family, so I guess I can handle a hill like that once a year. It was a nice event, and an emotional time for the family.
* Best of luck to Rich Meyers, who is giving up his role as the race director of the Ronald McDonald's House run. Talk about a tough act to follow -- that race traditionally has set the standard for organization around the area.
* The Turkey Trot has announced it is taking registrations. For those of you who don't know what race they are doing in two weeks (that would be me), this may be early. But for those who want to be sure to make it, visit the Turkey Trot website.
Now the weekend schedule, courtesy of buffalorunners.com. My theory is that we aren't used to have five Saturdays and Sunday in July, so the calendar is a little thin.:
* Lake View Field Day 5K Run, Center St. in Lakeview, 8 a.m. Saturday, 698-4005.
* East Aurora Rerun 5K, Fireman's Field in East Aurora, 9 a.m. Saturday, 652-8579.
* St. John the Baptist Midsummer Nite Run, 2.3 miles, Belmont Ave. in Town of Tonawanda, 7:30 p.m. Saturday, 862-9604.
* Italian Festival 5K, Columbus Park on 15th St. in Niagara Falls, 10 a.m. Sunday, 282-7181. Haven't done this race in years. I'll bet it's still one of the flatest courses in Western New York. Note: I had this as 10:30 earlier. So don't be late.
--- Budd Bailey