It's always a good idea to help out a fundraising effort by a local veteran. Dan Frontera is a retired Army specialist. He's trying to raise money for a memorial at Serviceman's Park. Dan is running in area races in full military gear in an effort to raise $50,000.
Here are the weekend's races, courtesy of buffalorunners.com:
* 3 Kings Royal Race, 5K, 10893 Sisson Hwy. in North Collins, 6:30 p.m. on Friday, 337-3780. It must be moving toward summer; here is the first Friday night race of the year.
* Liberty Mutual Hilbert Memorial Miles 5K, 5200 South Park Ave. in Hamburg, 10 a.m. on Saturday, 926-8936.
* Envirun 5K, Goat Island in Niagara Falls, 10:30 a.m. Saturday, 858-7897. It's always fun to run around by the Falls.
* Feel the Spirit 5K, 921 Cleveland Dr. in Cheektowaga, 11 a.m. Saturday, 380-0231. There are more turns on this course than any other 5K in Western New York, I think. At least there's plenty of food and drink if you are dizzy after the run is over.
* UB Run for Smiles, Putnam Way at UB's North Campus, 9:30 a.m. Sunday, 440-0365. It's put on by the Dental School at UB.
* Friends of Night People Run Against Hunger, 320 Porter Ave. in Buffalo, 10 a.m. Sunday, 884-5375. This race is collecting old t-shirts from runners. It's a great idea.
--- Budd Bailey