The 138th running of the Kentucky Derby will be held this Saturday afternoon at Churchill Downs in Louisville, Ky. and the post position draw was just completed. Some interesting developments coming out of the post position draw:
- Morning line favorite Bodemeister drew the #6 position, inside of both the other speed horses, Trinniberg (#9) and Hansen (#14).
- D. Wayne Lukas, looking for his fifth Derby title, drew the #2 post with Optimizer, who drew into the field yesterday when Mark Valeski withdrew.
- Todd Pletcher's two entries will be right next to each other with Gemologist (#15) and El Padrino (#16).
- The 2-year-old champion, Hansen went down to the final two pills being drawn with the dreaded rail post still not drawn. The Hansen team was very relieved and whooping it up after drawing the #14 hole. If you missed my interview with Dr. Hansen last Saturday, here's a link to the story.
- Union Rags drew #4, his connections had preferred an outer post for the imposing colt, but former Barbaro trainer Michael Matz didn't think the spot would hurt his chances.
- Posts 17 and 19 have never produced a Kentucky Derby champion, and post 14 hasn't had a winner in the last 42 years.
- My Adonis is listed as the 21st horse and will draw in as an also-eligible should any of the 20 horses in the field scratch by 9 a.m. on Friday, when Derby advance betting begins.
Here's a look at the posts and the field:
|Post Position||Horse||Morning Line||Trainer||Jockey|
|1||Daddy Long Legs||30-1||O'Brien||O' Donaghue|
|3||Take Charge Indy||15-1||Byrne||Borel|
|10||Daddy Nose Best||15-1||Asmussen||G Gomez|
|13||Went the Day Well||20-1||Motion||JR Velazquez|
|19||I'll Have Another||12-1||O'Neill||Gutierrez|
-- Gene Kershner