The Grand Island half-marathon was held last weekend, and a couple of local veterans were the winners. Jim Park came home first in 1:19:48, while Jennifer Koeppel-Acker finished in 1:25:11.
We have three events done in the News runner of the year series. Chris Walters and Koeppel-Acker have taken the lead. Check out the standings from buffalorunners.com.
It's the busy season for races, as the Saturday schedule is crowded. In fact, one race was postponed because there was just too much competition. Sometimes it pays to look at the calendar; there were no 5K races around town last Saturday morning.
Here's the weekend schedule, courtesy of buffalorunners.com:
* Crouse 5K Challenge, 100 Legion Dr. in Gowanda, 6:30 p.m. Friday, 860-8782.
* Moving Towards a Cure 5K, Delaware Park in Buffalo, 9 a.m. Saturday, (727) 781-4673.
* Holland Tulip Festival 5K, Holland Speedway, 9 a.m. Saturday, 537-2264. Who wouldn't want to finish on a race track?
* Nancy Price Memorial 5K, Veterans Park in Youngstown, 10 a.m. Saturday.
* Heritage Centers Foundation 5K, 101 Oak St. in Buffalo, 10 a.m. Saturday, 856-4202 x1228.
* DeSales Race for Fitness 5K, 6914 Chestnut Ridge Road in Lockport, 10 a.m. Saturday, 438-2014.
* The Elephant Run, 4 miles, Delaware Park (Marcy Casino) in Buffalo, 9:30 a.m. in Buffalo, 836-7045.
--- Budd Bailey