Sources say that white smoke has come out of the Western New York Running Hall of Fame meeting. The class of 2012 has been selected. It will be announced a week from Sunday in The News, and the class will be honored at the annual race in Buffalo on August 31.
The weekend's races got off to an early start with an event on Thursday night in Tonawanda. That has to be one of the flattest courses in the area, and it was a perfect night for running. And I'd like to thank all of the fasst runners in my age bracket who stayed away so I could win a medal.
Here's the rest of the schedule, courtesy of buffalorunners.com:
* Buffalo Greek Fest 5K, 146 W. Utica St. in Buffalo, 6:30 p.m. Friday, 796-3381.
* Run with the Rapids 5K, Old Falls St. in Niagara Falls, 9 a.m. Saturday, 278-2115.
* Chris Griswold 5K Race, Como Park in Lancaster, 10:30 a.m. Saturday, 685-2640. This is one of the few races of the year that usually hands out singlets. It's also the only race I've won garden hoses in back to back years as a door prize.
* 4 for the Corps, 4 miles, Arcade Village Park in Arcade, 10 a.m. Saturday, 353-6216.
* SSPP's Charge of the Knights 5K, 5480 Main St. in Williamsville, 6 p.m. Saturday, 440-8003.
* Take-Off for Learning 5K, Jamestown Airport, 9 a.m. Sunday, 969-8520.
--- Budd Bailey