I spent last week's vacation in Florida. Turns out that was the ideal place to get some practice at running in hot temperatures ... since conditions were identical to what we've had for the last couple of days.
A few notes of interest:
* The Rapid Running Buffalo Half Marathon, set for Ralph Wilson Stadium in Orchard Park on June 30, has been postponed. David Mason of Rapid Running said that the company wants more time to allow interest and participation to grow, although did say that support has been strong so far. Mason is hoping to stage it sometime in the fall.
My guess is that, if the statement from the organizers is taken at face value, this is not going to go over well. Training for a half-marathon if done properly requires weeks of training for most people. To have the rug pulled out from under those runners nine days before the race is going to make those runners unhappy. All right, very unhappy.
Also noteworthy -- there's no word in the news release about the postponement concerning refunds to those who have already registered.
* Jon French of UB was ruled ineligible for the JPMorgan Chase and Company Corporate Challenge, so his second-place finish was taken out of the results. Kevin Smith moved up to second. The team competition results still haven't been posted yet.
* Rick Morocco of Niagara Falls, Ont., has been named the new Managing Director of the Niagara Falls International Marathon. He replaces Jim Ralston in that position.
The weekend calendar of races is an odd one. It is absolutely blank on a Saturday in June. For races that were one of seven events scheduled on a Saturday a couple of weeks ago, this is another signal to look around at the calendar before setting a date. Buffalorunners.com has the list:
* Bemus Point 10K, Long Point State Park Bath House, 9 a.m. today, 488-0788.
* Buffalo CityBration 5K, Canalside in Buffalo, 9:30 a.m. today, 713-5654.
--- Budd Bailey