We start with an apology.
I did an interview with one of the volunteers for a story last week ... and never thought to ask her for the spelling of her first name. If this isn't rule one of the business, it's in the top 10. So, the next time I interview Marcia Spitler, and not Marsha Spitler, I'll be ready.
The week's running schedule actually started Wednesday with the run at Ronald McDonald House. I heard that they had more than 1,000 runners. However, their volunteer system for the postrace party, etc. has to be about the best in the area. People sail through the food line in record time and are well fed. It's an operation that could be copied by other races. Jeff at Buffalorunners.com should have an update soon on the News Runner of the Year standings if he doesn't already.
It's a funny week, with some fine midweek races coming up and a light schedule on weekend mornings. Here's the rundown from buffalorunners.com:
* St. John Vianney Kickoff Run, 5K, 2950 Southwestern Blvd. in Orchard Park, 6:30 p.m. tonight, 677-4039.
* NCCC Thunderwolves 5K, 3111 Saunders Settlement Road in Sanborn, 6 p.m. Friday, 614-6231.
* Lake View Field Day 5K, Center St. and Lake View Road in Lake View, 8 a.m. Saturday, 698-4005. I wonder if the 8 a.m. races would be better off waiting an hour if possible to attract the sleepyheads in the audience. Like me.
* East Aurora Rerun, 5K, Firemen's Field in East Aurora, 9 a.m. Saturday, 652-8579.
* Dash 'N Splash Family Fun Run, 2.5 miles, Frontier Middle School in Hamburg, 9 a.m. Saturday.
* St. John the Baptist Midsummer Nite Run, 2.3 miles, Belmont and Highland in the Town of Tonawanda, 7:30 p.m. Satrurday, 862-9604.
--- Budd Bailey