This isn't a bad time to check up on the News' Runner of the Year standings. We've got some new faces at the top, according to the statistics compiled by Buffalorunners.com.
The men's race is as close as it's been in years. Vasilis Kariolis is in the lead, but such runners as Jim Park and Chris Walters are right behind. And everyone in the top 10 is a couple of wins or so away from taking the lead potentially.
On the women's side, it looks as if Allison Carr is going to have trouble defending her title. Jennifer Koeppel-Acker is having a heck of a year, and certainly will be tough to catch with only five races to go.
Jeff at buffalorunners.com also does the race calendar. Here's what is coming up in the week ahead:
* Cosumel 5K, 153 Elmwood Ave. in Buffalo, 7 p.m. Friday, 913-7115.
* Dunkirk Lakefront 5K Race, Memorial Park in Dunkirk, 9 a.m. Saturday.
* MSMH River Run 5K, 145 N. 4th St. in Lewiston, 9 a.m. Saturday, 298-2249.
* Erie County Fair 5K, Fairgrounds in Hamburg, 9 a.m. Saturday, 649-3000. This year's race will start and end on the race track. Do not bet on me to win, place or show.
* Christin Padasak Memorial - Autism Awareness 5K, 393 North St. in Springville, 9:30 a.m. Saturday, 949-4072.
* Stephen's Cross-Country Run, 6K, Long Point State Park in Bemus Point, 9 a.m. Sunday, 488-0788.
And worth a mention is the 26th annual running of the Moonlight Run in Williamsville on Wednesday night. That's a lot of runs in the dusk.
One other non-race event is coming up -- the Brooks Cavalcade of Curiosities bus is coming to Fleet Feet at 2290 Delaware Ave. in Buffalo on Monday. The double-decker bus visits from 3 to 8 p.m.
-- Budd Bailey
taggedBasketball | Running