The summer weeknight running season is about over; it was odd to not have a race this past week. But there is plenty going on this weekend. Those who want to run more than 10 miles will find plenty of opportunities.
Here's the schedule, courtesy of buffalorunners.com:
* Hospice Dash 5K, Porter-on-the-Lake Park in Youngstown, 9 a.m. Saturday, 998-5777.
* Mighty Niagara Half marathon, Lewiston to Youngstown, 9 a.m. Saturday, 998-5777. This race got off to a good start last year, and returns with a new name and some improvements.
* Lake Erie Regional Health System 5K, 12644 Seneca Road in Irving, 9 a.m. Saturday, 951-7000. It's nice to see a company fully sponsor a race. But this is one long race name.
* Tails on Trails, 2.5 miles, Birdsong Park in Orchard Park, 10 a.m. Saturday, 662-6450 x2. This is a trail run in which runners are welcome to bring their dogs. Woof.
* Meghan Memorial 5K Cross-Country Run, Frontier Central H.S. in Hamburg, 10 a.m. Saturday, 926-8805.
* Lighthouse Baptist 5K, 383 Wheatfield St. in North Tonawanda, 2 p.m. Saturday, 998-8057. One of the few afternoon races of the year. An hour earlier, and I would have run it (work comes first).
By the way, the Rochester Marathon is Sunday, as is a half-marathon in St. Catharines.
--- Budd Bailey