There are seven races coming up on Saturday. All right, a Saturday in June usually offers a good chance of top-notch weather, so it's easy to see why the field is crowded. But next week, there's only one race on Saturday and Sunday, and it's in Lewiston. The following week, there's one Saturday/Sunday race, and it's the half-marathon in Orchard Park.
In other words, a great many races will be competing for a sliver of the market this week. If they had waited a week or two, they might have done a lot better in terms of attendance. There's probably a lesson there, particularly for new events.
Here's the weekend schedule, courtesy of buffalorunners.com:
* OLSH 5K, 3148 Abbott Road in Orchard Park, 6 p.m. Thursday, 445-5022. The description mentions "intermittent hills," a refreshing change from a world where every single course is fast and flat - even when it isn't.
* Ripley's Race to Wellness, 1 Park Ave. in Ripley, 8:30 a.m. Saturday, 736-2631 x240.
* Warm Up for Relay 5K, 491 High St. in Lockport, 9 a.m. Saturday, 478-4836.
* Red Devil Run for Recovery, 5K, 9365 Clarence Center Road, 9 a.m. Saturday, 634-9565.
* Run Along Jericho Road 5K, 184 Barton St. in Buffalo , 9 a.m. Saturday, 348-3000 x405. Broadcasters know this address as the former homes of Channel 2 and Channel 17. The course sounds like it should be fun and different, since not too many races are staged over there.
* Trooper Brinkerhoff 5K, Boston Town Park, 10 a.m. Saturday, 604-8949.
* Moving Towards a Cure for Brain Tumors 5K Run, Delaware Park in Buffalo, 10:30 a.m. Saturday, 727-781-4673.
* Love Everybody 5K, 250 Northwood Ave. in West Seneca, 6 p.m. Saturday, 771-3076. It's a new race in a rare Saturday night slot, and organizers have been working hard for months on it. Applications were approaching 400 at last look, so someone is doing something right.
--- Budd Bailey