It's the only race of the year that is held at dusk, and more than 1,000 runners again invaded Williamsville on Wednesday night to take part. What's more, it always seems to fall on a clear night so that runners will have more than enough light to avoid the odd pothole while finishing the race.
In fact, the race has come close to outgrowing its starting area. There are plenty of people jammed into a small road. But it's a problem other races would like to have.
The race schedule this weekend is crowded, but they should be held under perfect conditions. Here's the rundown from buffalorunners.com:
* iWacko Sarah Johnson Memorial 5K Run, Clark's Park in Wilson, 9 a.m. Saturday, 440-6516. Good to see this race stage a second running in tribute to the woman who was killed in a house explosion last year.
* Sunset Bay Experience 5K, Sunset Bay Beach Club in Irving, 9:30 a.m. Saturday, 907-0219.
* Beast of Burden Ultra Marathon, 50 and 100 miles, 718 Market St. in Lockport, 10 a.m. Saturday, 609-9000.
* 32nd annual Don Carroll Toys for Kids 5K Run, Jackson Square in Batavia, 6:15 p.m. Saturday, (585) 250-4222.
* Run for Row 5K, Como Park in Lancaster, 9 a.m. Sunday, 891-3941.
* 2013 TRZ, 5K and 10K, Firemen's Grounds in Frewsburg, 9:30 a.m. Sunday, 397-2519.
Also coming up on Sunday - a column in The News on one of the most important figures in Western New York's running history as he says goodbye. Don Mitchell has always been a friend to this column, no matter who wrote it, and he'll be missed by all of us.
-- Budd Bailey