Is it too much to ask that the nice temperatures hang on just a little bit longer? Probably. It is October, after all. But it's still nice not to put away the shorts and t-shirt look quite yet. I'll bet the last weekday night race of the season is happy about the warmth.
Here's the weekend schedule, courtesy of Buffalorunners.com:
* BobKat 5K, 218 Aqua Lane Park, Town of Tonawanda, 6 p.m. today, 725-7414. This one has bounced around the calendar a bit, but it's a nice little race with plenty of warmth. You usually get to meet "BobKat" if you show up as an added bonus.
* Knox International Communityh Race, 5K, Knox State Park in East Aurora, 8 a.m. Saturday, 655-6859. This is a warm-up to cross-country races at the Knox Farm.
* Flight 3407 Memorial Race, 5K, Clarence Town Hall in Clarence, 9:30 a.m. Saturday.
* Muddy Viking Trail Run, 4 miles, 5013 Route 430 in Bemus Point, 10 a.m. Saturday, 830-6713.
* Run for the Park, 5K X-C, 2982 Lakeview Road in Hamburg, 10 a.m. Saturday, 202-9142.
* Cops & Kids 4 Mile Run, 4455 Porter Road in Niagara Falls, 10 a.m. Saturday, 286-7263.
* Timon Fall Challenge Run, 5K, 601 McKinley Parkway in Buffalo, 10:30 a.m. Saturday, 826-3610. I know people who run this race just for the cheesecake afterwards.
* Chowder Challenge, 5K, Pine Woods Park in North Tonawanda, 11 a.m. Saturday, 523-3958. I know people who run this race just for the chowder.
* Race for Excellence, 5K, 496 Hertel Ave. in Buffalo, 11:30 a.m. Saturday, 819-4100 x111. This originally was supposed to start at 11, but was moved back. There haven't been many races in this part of the area, so it's nice to see this one give it a try.
* Olivia's 5K Wish Run, Evangola State Park in Irving, 11 a.m. Sunday, 934-7499.
-- Budd Bailey