A few notes from today's morning workout at First Niagara Center:
* The captains for the team have been picked. John Tavares is the captain. One of the assistants will always be Shawn Williams. The other assistant's spot will be split between Billy Dee Smith and Mark Steenhuis.
* Coach Troy Cordingley reports there are no major injuries on the roster, so everyone should be good to go for the opener next Saturday night.
* Cordingley was asked about how Mitch Wilde made a spot on the practice squad, while Nick Diachenko - taken one spot earlier in the second round in September's draft - didn't. The coach replied that Wilde simply was the better player, based on an outstanding training camp. Cordingley added that it was tough to cut players this week not because they weren't good enough to play in the league, but because there just wasn't room for them on the roster.
15. Buffalo** (from Calgary) - Mitch Wilde, Robert Morris University - See more at: http://www.nll.com/news_article/show/276205#sthash.WSr98hM7.dpuf
* One transaction of interest slipped through the other day - the Philadelphia Wings cut ex-Bandit Luke Wiles. There has to be a story behind how someone went from an All-Star to unemployed in fewer than two years.
A full preview of the upcoming season, including an interview with NLL Commissioner George Daniel will be appearing in The News later this week.,
--- Budd Bailey