According to WGRZ and WKBW television reports, the Gus Macker Tournament will move from the streets of downtown Buffalo to Darien Lake, but a Gus Macker official would not confirm the report.
Macker President Scott McNeil, reached by phone Thursday night, said nothing has been signed by the parties to make the move official. He had no further comment.
While McNeil said nothing has been signed, he didn't deny the reports, which serve as the latest sign that the traditional Macker 3-on-3 tournament date for mid-June in Buffalo is likely no more.
A month ago, PAL Executive Director Modie Cox and McNeil were 80 percent certain the Macker would take place in Buffalo in late June, pending approval of the agreement from the PAL lawyer. No such OK ever came, and while all has been silent on PAL front since, McNeil indicated a couple weeks ago that something had come up and that the sides were working on something.
PAL had been looking for a main sponsor or a way to cut costs of the event that is supposed to act as a fundraiser for PAL activities, since learning ex-Buffalo Bills CB Terrance McGee was pulling out as the event's title sponsor last summer.---Miguel Rodriguez