Here's a bit of bonus material that you won't read in Sunday's running column. I talked with Bart Yasso of Runner's World magazine for the story. I was curious about the merger between his magazine and Running Times, saying that I was glad that the two publications haven't merged. He said both magazines have their own niche.
"Our editor-in-chief, David Willey, has emphasized a combination of story-telling about running and service items," he said. "We want to keep people active and involved. There's nothing crazy that will change everything overnight; you just go out there and see what comes along. There are great stories out there."
I mentioned that runners are thrilled when someone asks them about the activity, because often their close friends don't have much knowledge or interest.
"It's amazing," Yasso said. "Some people are quiet and don't think their story is worth anything. I'll meet them, and find they've been supressing it all this time. ... The best stories come from a friend of a friend. They'll say, 'This person is a great story."
Meanwhile, Running Times is more designed for elite runners.
"Right from the beginning, we've kept the two editorial teams apart," Yasso said. "Those going for their personal best all the time are for Running Times. Runner's World is more about lifestyle. We want to improve your time, not help you run 100 miles."
Read the rest on Sunday. In the meantime, here's the calendar from buffalorunners.com - celebrating the return of the Friday night race:
* Crouse 5K Challenge, 100 Legion Dr. in Gowanda, 6 p.m. tonight, 860-8782.
* Catalyst Fitness Race for a Cause, 5K, 2745 Seneca St. in West Seneca, 6:30 p.m. tonight, 824-4655.
* Town of Tonawanda 5K, 1 Pool Plaza in Town of Tonawanda, 6:30 p.m. tonight, 876-7424. I did this one a couple of years ago. Those who like a nice flat course should enjoy this one.
* Cummins Run for Literary, 5K, 509 Cherry St. in Jamestown, 9 a.m. Saturday, 484-7135 x236.
* Holland Tulip Festival, 5K, Holland Speedway, 9 a.m. Saturday, 537-2264.
* Nancy Price Memorial 5K, Veterans Park in Youngstown, 10 a.m. Saturday, 531-1216.
* Heritage Centers Foundation 5K, 101 Oak St. in Buffalo, 10 a.m. Saturday, 856-4202 x1228.
* DeSales Catholic School Race for Fitness, 5K, 6914 Chestnut Ridge Road in Lockport, 10 a.m. Saturday, 433-6422.
* Elephant Run, 4 miles, Marcy Casino in Delaware Park in Buffalo, 9:30 a.m. Sunday, 836-7045. This has turned into a good way to start Mother's Day activities. For those who like breakfast food after a race, this is the right place.
--- Budd Bailey