There had been some question about whether the Depew-Lancaster Boys and Girls Club 10K Race, a fixture on the calendar for July 4, would be held this year. It wasn't on the list of races at buffalorunners.com.
I contacted the office today, and I have been more than assured that the race would be held. That's certainly good news. Now the Club needs to get the race on its website under the year's upcoming event. It always pays to advertise.
The calendar has flipped to May, which usually means at least one thing - races at night and on weekdays. Sure enough we have one this week on the calendar. Before we know it, you won't have a decision to make when you dress for a run.
Here's the calendar, courtesy of buffalorunners.com:
* NCCC Alumni Association 5K Run, Niagara County Community College in Sanborn, 6 p.m. tonight, 614-6231.
* GBTC Grand Island Half Marathon & 10K, Beaver Island State Park in Grand Island, 9 a.m. Saturday. The organizers have added a 10-kilometer run this year, which is a fine idea. It was a tough winter to train for a half-marathon.
* Putting Hunger on the Run 5K, 320 Porter Ave. in Buffalo, 9 a.m. Saturday, 884-5375.
* Allegany Adventure Runs, various, Allegany State Park in Salamanca, 9:30 a.m. Saturday, 574-0888.
* Rivershore 5K, 100 Center St. in Lewiston, 11 a.m. Saturday, 754-7272.
* Terri Krieger Memorial 5K Run, 189 North Gravel Road in Medina, 2 p.m. Saturday, (585) 589-5516 x227.
* Cinco de Mayo 5K Run, 383 Davison Road in Lockport, 11 a.m. Sunday. So they are a day early. There's a party after the race that lasts until 6 p.m.
-- Budd Bailey