A quick story about my vacation, which is why there have been no weekly updates the last two weeks:
I found myself in Skagway, Alaska, last week, just up the river from Juneau for those keeping score. I noticed that the Skagway Marathon was going to be held on June 14, making me a few days early (not that I could have run it). The light bulb went off.
I went into the visitors information center and said I had an unusual question. How could I get a shirt from the race to bring back home? Luckily, the staff member who waited on me was a former runner, and sent me to an outdoors store around the corner that was handling the logistics. They had a shirt from the 2013 race for only $10. Sold.
So if you see a guy with a Skagway Marathon shirt around town, don't think he actually did the race. There isn't much level land in that part of the world, and I'm not up to that task.
Meanwhile, the Corporate Challenge gets the weekend off to a huge start tonight. Then it's the usual busy weekend (although someone should have scheduled a race for Sunday). Here's the rundown from buffalorunners.com:
* St. Gregory the Great's Great Race, 5K, 100 St. Gregory Court in Williamsville, 7 p.m. Friday, 479-2442. A News' runner of the year race that is well known for being a fast and flat course.
* MSMH River Run, 5K, 145 N. Fourth St. in Lewiston, 9 a.m. Saturday, 622-5667.
* Red Devil Run for Recovery, 5K, 9365 Clarence Center Road in Clarence Center, 9 a.m. Saturday, 634-9565.
* FGIII Memorial 5K, 8965 Old Lake Shore Road in Angola, 9 a.m. Saturday, 598-9121.
* D&F 5K Challenge, 1170 Central Ave. in Dunkirk, 9:30 a.m. Saturday, 363-6383.
* Trooper Brinkerhoff 5K, Boston Town Park, 10 a.m. Saturday, 604-8949.
* Madison 5K Strawberry Run, Brant Town Park, 6 p.m. Saturday, 870-8306.
* Chase the Sun Summer Solstice 5K, 26 Thorn Ave. in Orchard Park, 7:30 p.m. Saturday, 553-9455.
-- Budd Bailey