September 20, 2013 - 1:07 AM
It was another day in the life of Ed Russell.
Last Sunday, he drove down to Irving from the Northtowns - no easy jaunt - for a 5K race there. Ed didn't hang around long afterwards, though. He had to get back to Buffalo for another 5K run - the Shea's Race. That's how someone does 90 races in a year before the end of September.
Ed will probably be busy on Saturday. It's September, and everyone wants to have a race in September. Even so, this particular September day is supposedly going to be a wet one. Ed, bring an extra shirt or two.
Here's the calendar from buffalorunners.com
* Chautauqua Ultras, various, Mayville Lakeside Park in Mayville, 7 a.m. Saturday, 607-0328.
* Hospice Dash 5K, Porter--on-the-Lake Park in Youngstown, 9 a.m. Saturday, 998-5777.
* Dash for Dad/Zero Prostate Cancer 5K, Perry Street in Buffalo, 9 a.m. Saturday, 844-5646. This seemed like a natural for Father's Day, which the race tried last year. We'll see what happens this time around.
* Mighty Niagara Half Marathon, Artpark in Lewiston, 9 a.m. Saturday, 998-5777.
* Lebro's Fall Classic, 5K, 330 Campbell Blvd. in Getzville, 10 a.m. Saturday, 689-4507. It's a flat course, lots of food, and great premiums. No one leaves hungry or with complaints.
* Tails on Trails, 2.5 miles, Birdsong Park in Orchard Park, 10 a.m. Saturday, 662-6450 x2. Oh, and the dogs race free.
* Pheo Para Run, 5K, 3964 California Road in Orchard Park, 10 a.m. Saturday, 677-6788. This is to fight the rare cancer Paraganglioma and Pheochromocytoma, thankfully abbreviated here.
* 4 for the Corps, 4 miles, 145 North St. in Arcade, 10 a.m. Saturday, 912-8172. That should be enoughb of a choice for Saturday.
* Dash for Diversity, 9K relay, Delaware Park in Buffalo, 11 a.m. Sunday, 417-4331. This is an interesting idea - three-person teams take a lap around the Ring Road.
* Tanya's Trot for Epilepsy, 5K, Skyline Drive in Akron, 2 p.m. Sunday, 541-2315. Akron Falls Park is a great place for a run if you don't mind hills. And you should be done in time for the Bills' game, if that matters to you.-- Budd Bailey