In Business Today:
- Region’s job market seen as stabilizing - David Robinson/The Buffalo News
The region added a modest number of jobs for the second straight month during June in a sign that the painful job losses that the area endured since the end of 2008 may be a thing of the past.
But while the job losses have stopped, the ensuing job growth is tepid, with the region gaining 2,400 jobs over the last year, more than half of that coming from temporary census jobs that now have largely ended. Excluding those government jobs, private-sector employment increased by 0.3 percent, or 1,200 jobs.
Even with that job growth, the region’s unemployment rate inched up to 7.7 percent during June as a growing labor force offset the modest improvement in the number of jobs available, the state Labor Department said Thursday.
- Senate close to restoring jobless benefits - AP/Buffalo News
- Manufacturing cools in June as factory output falls 0.4% - AP/Buffalo News
- City’s Unemployment Rate Fell to 9.5% in June, the 6th Straight Monthly Dip - New York Times
- Unemployment rises to 12.8% in Miami-Dade - Miami Herald
- Georgia jobless rate drops for third straight month - Atlanta Journal Constitution
- State’s jobless rate declines to 12 percent - Providence Journal
- Tennessee jobless rate falls in June to 10.1 percent - Chattanooga Times Free Press
- Unemployment hits 7.9 percent in June - Anchorage Daily News
- Ohio unemployment rate falls to 10.5 percent - Cleveland Plain Dealer
- Ford dealers donate 2 vans in 15th year of a tradition - Dino Grandoni/The Buffalo News
The Ford Dealers of Western New York and Northern Pennsylvania presented vans to two area charities in its annual Ford Friendship Express program Thursday.
The Boys & Girls Clubs of the Northtowns and Homespace Inc. each received the keys to a 2010 Econoline van at a ceremony at Marcy Casino in Delaware Park. Since 1996, the dealerships have donated 60 vehicles to nonprofits that have racked up 1.25 million miles with the vehicles. This year marks the program's 15th anniversary.
- Noco adds Mighty Taco to Buffalo store - Jonathan D. Epstein/The Buffalo News
... Continuing its “store-within-a-store” concept, Noco Express Shops is introducing a new Mighty Taco location inside its South Buffalo store. The popular taco shop has already started operating there but will have a formal opening today at 155 Bailey Ave., at McKinley Parkway. ...
Executives of both companies cited the complementary nature of their businesses, including the desire of convenience store or gas customers for a quick bite. Also, most of Mighty Taco’s business is drive- through, and Noco is centered around cars and gas. Officials began discussions in September 2008. ...
This is the fourth local eating establishment that Noco has partnered with. Noco recently opened a Just Pizza location at its Depew store and has previously teamed up with Charlie the Butcher and Tim Hortons at several other stores for each brand.
Speaking of tacos, this is amazing:
-- George Pyle/The Buffalo News
taggedCurrent Affairs | The Economy | Travel